cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
margopapas
Former Member
Message 1 of 7

SiteAdviso-Firefox duo crashes when FFox is launched

I launch Firefox (as usual), I get a blank web page, the Green SiteAdvisor marker (bottom right of page) kicks in a blank (...and empty) balloon message window, with nothing in it, and the overall FireFox partition is in frozen state. Nothing can be done. I was forced to launch the Windows-Task-Manager, and abrupty close down the FireFox partition. In all, I was unable to use Firefox since I was unable to bring it to a point where I could call in a web page.
Eventually, to work around the problem I was forced to un-install SITEADVISER, and remove the ADD-ON Link of the SiteAdvisor from FireFox. Now, My FireFox works fine but I am operating without SiteAdvisor.
Has anybody hit that problem and found a way around it ?
I suspect software inter-operability mis-match problems between recent updates of these 5 packages: McAfee control center, SiteAdvisor, Firefox, Java, Vista.
Prior to recent updates my SiteAdvisor AddOn in Fireforx worked fine.
Versions: SiteAdvisor 2.8, FireFox 2.0.20, JRE 1.6.0_07, JRE-Version-6, JavaPlug-in 1.6.0_11.
6 Replies
techgy
Former Member
Message 2 of 7

Site Advisor Slows/Pauses in FF

Myself and a co-worker have both seen a similar problem with the current version of SiteAdvisor(2.9.242). I'm running XP-Professional and the co-worker is using XP-Home. Both of us have experienced a significant slow down of performance in the current FireFox (FF) browser. On occasion the browser just freezes and like you, we have to use the Task Manager to shut down the browser and recover.

It doesn't seem to matter what site we're headed to. It's a random occurance. I've removed SiteAdvisor completely, and rebooted, then done a re-install and the problem still exists. I'm current attempting to use the "Approved Sites" list to tell SA to ignore some of the sites that I know are non-threatening, but this isn't a fix. Something in the latest version of SA has caused this to happen. Previous versions didn't exhibit this problem.

Is there a list somewhere that tells us what changes have been implemented in the recent release of SA?
mightyglydd
Contributor
Message 3 of 7

RE: Site Advisor Slows/Pauses in FF

Are you sure, how about those two files in FF profile and all the rest of the junk they've installed, check out Windows startup
programs and services and see what presents they've left behind there. 😉

This might help too......get rid of the whole mess!

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100507&lc=1033

.. then install WOT and a decent low resource AV Program. happy
techgy
Former Member
Message 4 of 7

I have a very effective cleanup program that removes junk left behind from windows. I'm also running a good AV program. The issue is with the SiteAdvisor update. Everything was working just fine prior to the recent "improvement".
mightyglydd
Contributor
Message 5 of 7

Those files are left behind by the Siteadvisor update, and if your 'cleanup program' happens to be CCleaner, it won't find them.

Being as you're having a FF problem why don't you try to get help from these good folks......

http://forums.mozillazine.org/
techgy
Former Member
Message 6 of 7

Although I would agree that it's possible that it might be a FF problem, the problem didn't exist until SiteAdvisor was recently updated. It points more to a problem with the advisor. I've removed SA and have move to Web of Trust. I'm not sure that WOT offers the same level of protection, but it seems more stable than SA - at least for the time being.

I'm running Wintools Professional for the cleanup program.

I would assume that if there were a problem with SA that we'd be seeing more problem reports of this type of an issue here in the forum and I didn't see much. Perhaps it's a bit early??
mightyglydd
Contributor
Message 7 of 7

Yeah I should have been more clear, I meant a FF problem caused by the update.
I was wondering the same thing about lack of problem reports, who knows what the new year will bring?
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community