Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
newjack
Former Member
Message 1 of 5

Site advisor slows IE9 start up

Jump to solution

When opening IE9 It has been taking longer and longer.Site advisor seems to be the culprit.At least according to IE 9.Anyone else experiencing a slow down?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 5

Re: Site advisor slows IE9 start up

Jump to solution

Newjack, scriptproxy is a part of VirusScan. According to Microsoft (and this is a description of the Enterprise version, although it's probably the same for non-corporate McAfee versions)

... McAfee ScriptScan component (Scriptscan.dll) scans a script that calls a Microsoft ActiveX control. Scriptscan.dll replaces the Windows Script Host component with its own proxy component. The McAfee ScriptScan proxy component (Scriptproxy.dll) scans JavaScript-based scripts and Microsoft Visual Basic Scripting Edition (VBScript)-based scripts to look for viruses. When a script runs and then passes through the scan as clean, Scriptproxy.dll passes the script to the appropriate Windows Script Host.

As for slowing down your IE9 startup, the times you give in your first post amount to barely half a second. I should look elsewhere for the reason, if IE seems slow to load pages. Try re-running your test, but set the bar lower, so that it shows you everything over 0.1 second - but that will only tell you about add-ons. You may need to look at your IE settings; I haven't got IE9 so I don't know if the number of browser settings has changed at all.

Is this a problem with all sites, or only some?

View solution in original post

4 Replies
jaymfe
Former Member
Message 2 of 5

Jump to solution

Newjack,

Since McAfee Site Advsior is a third party addon for IE, it will take some time to load while starting the IE. It don't seems like an issue. I dont think it will slow down the loading of webpages and tab. It may affect while opeing the IE.

newjack
Former Member
Message 3 of 5

Jump to solution

O.K thanks you Jay. 1 more Question that may sound stupid.Is the script proxy portion of site advisor needed?Is it part of protection or used with proxy?

Thanks for the answer,newjack

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 5

Jump to solution

Newjack, scriptproxy is a part of VirusScan. According to Microsoft (and this is a description of the Enterprise version, although it's probably the same for non-corporate McAfee versions)

... McAfee ScriptScan component (Scriptscan.dll) scans a script that calls a Microsoft ActiveX control. Scriptscan.dll replaces the Windows Script Host component with its own proxy component. The McAfee ScriptScan proxy component (Scriptproxy.dll) scans JavaScript-based scripts and Microsoft Visual Basic Scripting Edition (VBScript)-based scripts to look for viruses. When a script runs and then passes through the scan as clean, Scriptproxy.dll passes the script to the appropriate Windows Script Host.

As for slowing down your IE9 startup, the times you give in your first post amount to barely half a second. I should look elsewhere for the reason, if IE seems slow to load pages. Try re-running your test, but set the bar lower, so that it shows you everything over 0.1 second - but that will only tell you about add-ons. You may need to look at your IE settings; I haven't got IE9 so I don't know if the number of browser settings has changed at all.

Is this a problem with all sites, or only some?

newjack
Former Member
Message 5 of 5

Jump to solution

Hi Hayton, IE9 is actually faster now for me.It is just a bit slow on initial start up.Not a huge problem for me.The prompt was actually from IE9.IT has a new feature that will open when the start time exceeds the default settings.As you can see on the bottom.I just raised it a bit.Also thanks for your input on scriptproxy.dll                            

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community