cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Meems
Former Member
Message 1 of 8

Site advisor not working at all

I have 2.6 for site advisor. Site advisor has disappeared from my windows internet explorer page. I'm not technical and don't understand some of what you have said in other threads. I tried downloading the free site advisor from McAfee and that didn't show up on my screen either. I really liked using it for checking sites but I can't find it anywhere? Any ideas where it's hiding? There is no green icon. There used to be. Thanks for any advice.
7 Replies
BastiaanR
Former Member
Message 2 of 8

RE: Site advisor not working at all

Try the following:
- open Internet Explorer
- click Tools
- click Internet Options
- open tab Advanced
- in the list of options, make sure that "Allow 3rd party plugins" (or something like that) is ticked

Else try the following:
- open Internet Explorer
- click Tools
- click Manage Add-ons
- click Enable or Disable Add-ons
- make sure the Add-ons for SiteAdvisor are Enabled
Meems
Former Member
Message 3 of 8

SiteAdvisor not working

I enabled third-party browser. The McAfee site advisor was already enabled. I restarted the computer. It still is not there. Any other advice?
Thanks for the help.
JAMIE4418
Former Member
Message 4 of 8

RE: SiteAdvisor not working

Hi Bastiann. I too am having problems with Mcafee Siteadvisor. It worked great until I installed Norton 2007. Do you know if Norton conflicts with MSI?

By the way, I'm still getting SI readings while using IE7, but not Firefox. Could it be because Norton is trying to help their buddies at Microsoft?

MSI is awesome and I need it to surf the web.

Thanks.
JAMIE4418
Former Member
Message 5 of 8

Hey. Actually, I got it to work. I just reinstalled MSI and it works fine now.

I urge EVERYONE to use MSI and a good securitiy suite.

The internet is far more dangerous than people realize.
JAMIE4418
Former Member
Message 6 of 8

Hmmm. Actually, this problem seems to come up every time I log on.

The SI checkmarks are showing up as little boxes, meaning they're not loading up properly.

I"ve only had this since I installed Norton. I'm sure it's because of Norton and because of their cozy relationship with Microsoft. After all, even the Norton people have told me they don't support Firefox and recommend using internet explorer "because it's safer".

There's no way I'm using IE. It's not as safe, and Firefox has many killer apps, the first being Adblock which is amazing.

Has anyone else had a problem with SI and Norton?
PraveenRajaretn
Contributor
Message 7 of 8

Dear Jamie,

We received your message reporting that the annotations (= SI checkmarks) on the Google search results page are being displayed as empty white boxes. Thank you for contacting us.

This is a known issue and has been addressed. Please click on the following thread given below for further details on the fix provided.

Icons disapearing next to Google search link - adamjo

You could wait for the auto-updates to happen as outlined in the above link (Recommended)

(OR)

Please download the first .zip file posted - chrome.manifest for sa exe.zip in the same thread above. Before you post the file, it is better to reboot your system in case an automatic upgrade of SiteAdvisor has happened. After reboot, unzip the file you downloaded and rename it as 'chrome.manifest'. Now, copy and paste the file in the location given below:-

C:\Program Files\SiteAdvisor\6261\FF\
Note: After re-starting your machine, only one folder - '6261' should be present. If other folder (for e.g., 6253 or 6172) are present, please delete them.

Close all open FireFox browsers and launch FireFox again. Check if SiteAdvisor annotations are displayed in the Google search results page. If annotations are not shown, then you could either,

1. Try restarting SiteAdvisor service. To do this, please follow the steps given below:-
(i) Click 'Start' and click on 'Run'
(ii) Type 'services.msc' (without quotes on the Run Dialog)
(iii) In the 'Services' window, search for 'SiteAdvisor Service'. Right-click on it and select 'Restart' option.

(Or)

2. Restart the system

Please let us know if you continue to have this issue. Thank you for being a McAfee customer.

Sincerely,
Praveen
McAfee SiteAdvisor Team
JAMIE4418
Former Member
Message 8 of 8

Hi Praveen. I did as you suggested, and it fixed it.

I'm glad Siteadvisor is provided because the internet can be very dangerous.

Thank you for your help.

I have on other question. After we put in a request for a site to be tested, do you know how long it takes for a site to have the question mark changed?
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community