Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
relativity
Contributor
Message 11 of 20

Re: Site advisor -Not working in latest Chrome 35.0

Jump to solution

i do not see the icon for siteadvisor in my tool bar in Chrome .. i also don't see anything in the extensions section regarding the site advisor plugin ( should i ? ? ) -

i was trying to convince Chrome to load the plugin by dragging the .crx file to that directory. Didn't work

if i put my chrome extensions page into developer mode and then try  to load the unpacked extensions from the c:/program files 8x6\mcafee\siteadisor directory chrome tells me that the Manifest file in that directiry (chrome.manifest ) is corrupt or unreadable .

This is so frustrating - Siteadvisor worked so well up until a few weeks ago - now it just won't startup . .ARG ! 

k3tg
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 12 of 20

Jump to solution

Looks like Ex_Brit and Hayton have responded to you and I might add that both are very helpful to customers trying to help solve issues.

As I cannot speak for anyone other than myself I was just trying to see if this issue might have had something to do with the fact my software has been provided to me via Dell which was last updated by them on May 30th.

I too have heard that Chrome and Site Advisor have issues amongst each other

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 13 of 20

Jump to solution

If you don't see SiteAdvisor in the list of extensions (as below) then either SiteAdvisor wasn't installed or it's been removed from Chrome. I had that problem a while back - I clicked the trash can symbol to remove it from Chrome and then couldn't get it back.

You say you have SiteAdvisor working in IE and FF, is that correct?

SA in Chrome extension list.PNG

relativity
Contributor
Message 14 of 20

Jump to solution

Yes SA works in IE and FF .. but i never use those browsers and prefer chrome for security reasons ..

i do NOT see the icons that you are seeing in my Chrome . .there is no Siteadvisor icon in the chrome Extensions page .

That is the reason why i was trying to drag the .crx file to that page.

Message was edited by: relativity on 6/22/14 1:30:53 PM CDT
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 15 of 20

Jump to solution

relativity wrote:

That is the reason why i was trying to drag the .crx file to that page.

As I said, that won't work. It's one of the things I tried.

Chrome can be complicated sometimes, and I'm not entirely certain that I recall exactly the sequence of actions that were necessary to get SA working again.

First, the question of synching. If you've synched Chrome then you will find that the synched Chrome list of extensions (without SiteAdvisor) gets re-applied. Let me know if that happens, I'm sure I found something buried in the Chrome FAQs or Latest Issue list about that.

The first step is to uninstall SiteAdvisor completely, but before you do click the wrench symbol in Chrome and select Tools-->Clear Browsing Data. Make sure all the boxes are checked and applied From the Beginning of Time. This will remove all cookies and plug-in data.

Go to 'Programs & Features' and find the entry for McAfee (not MVT). There is no separate entry for SiteAdvisor. Click to uninstall and it will ask if you want to remove everything or just SiteAdvisor. Agree to remove SiteAdvisor.

Then you have to re-install SiteAdvisor from the McAfee site - go to

https://www.siteadvisor.com/download/windows.html

and scroll right down to the bottom of the page to get the free version.

You may need to reboot so that SiteAdvisor can check to make sure it's got the latest version, and download it if you haven't.

Then restart Chrome and check in Task Manager to see if McChHost is running. If it is, you're part way there. If not, it means I have to dig around in the Chrome forums and various Help sections to see what it was I found before that helped me get SA back. I have a nasty feeling that my installation of Chrome was corrupted and had to be deleted & re-installed. I hope that's not the case here.

Message was edited by: Hayton on 22/06/14 23:48:57 IST
relativity
Contributor
Message 16 of 20

Jump to solution

Thank you so much .. i will try all of that and come back later this pm to post results but i am thinking maybe Mcaffee didn't do their homework.. very likely

This article might(below) may be why the plugin will no longer install .. Mcafee has to put their plugin in the Google plugin page or it won't work .. When folks will update their Chrome the

existing plugin might stop working - like mine did Version 35.0.1916.153 m

This may be the reason why .. .

i will try your sugestions and report back later on my results ..

THanks again

http://news.techworld.com/security/3521963/google-calls-time-on-third-party-chrome-extensions-to-tur...

relativity
Contributor
Message 17 of 20

Jump to solution

You're an ACE .. i did all you said and it worked !

i did the extra step of rebooting between the de-install and the re-install and then rebooting again after the install completed.

After the re-install Mcaffe site advisor icon came back in my Chrome extensions page but the version said 1.0.0.0

After a re-start the icon changed to version 3.65.135.1

i applaud you as Mcafee tech support was unable to help me even after two 1 hour chat sessions and them taking remote control.

i hope others with the same issue will find this thread and get their SA fixed by trying the same.
Folks don't forget to follow the instructions as he wrote them IE: erase your history and all cookies and setings.

Thank You Hayton

Much  appreciated  🙂

You Rock !

Message was edited by: relativity on 6/22/14 4:49:35 PM CDT
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 18 of 20

Jump to solution

Well done Hayton !  😉

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 19 of 20

Jump to solution

I second that !!!

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 20 of 20

Jump to solution

relativity wrote:

i did all you said and it worked !

Oh, right. Glad it worked. Thank you for the kudos, I'll put you down as a referee on my next job application

Message was edited by: Hayton on 22/06/14 23:45:46 IST
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community