cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
asuperstar103
Former Member
Message 1 of 13

Site Advisor will not stop popping up!

What do I do if everytime I open my browser (firefox) the site advisor pops up. It won't stop no matter what I do. There is a button that I can click to get the window to go away but then it pops up another browser window containing McAfee info. So I have to hurry and close it before the Site Advisor pops up again, cause then when I shut it down another window would pop up, this goes on and on!! Is there a way to turn the site advisor off?
12 Replies
earthdragunz
Former Member
Message 2 of 13

RE: Site Advisor will not stop popping up!

hi,

try this steps:

- open Mozilla Firefox
- click on Tools, then Add-ons
- choose Extensions
- locate McAfee SiteAdvisor, and click on Disabled
- restart Firefox

hope it helps..
asuperstar103
Former Member
Message 3 of 13

Ah one problem down!! Thank you for replying.
earthdragunz
Former Member
Message 4 of 13

Glad to help
ljmacrae
Former Member
Message 5 of 13

IE 7

I'm having the same SiteAdvisor pop-up problem - got to work fast with my fingers to get around it! Anyway, it's not listed in the "Add or Remove Programs" area, and when I open Security Center and click the 'about' button, I see that it was updated 12/31/1969. Yep, you read it right.

Problems started last night around 11:00 p.m. when I watched McAfee wipe out all my games, some were Big Fish and some weren't. I was able to run System Restore, but bungled that by not disallowing updates, went through the same thing again. Now I am unable to run the System Restore Wizard at all - says it's unable to restore anything.

My questions are: How do I get rid of Site Advisor altogether? How do I stop automatic updates? And, more importantly, how do I get my games back???? They're all still quarantined . . .

Thanks happy
bua_ako
Former Member
Message 6 of 13

regarding site advisor and false positives...

rest assured that the mcafee engineers are working on a DAT file that will fix this issue regarding games. if mcafee quarantined the games' executable file please don't remove them... what i can advise is wait for that UPDATE and once obtained mcafee should automatically fix those quarantined files and restore them back... else once you get the updates manually restore those files...

hope this helps... sorry for the inconvenience this has brought upon you... merry xmas!
ljmacrae
Former Member
Message 7 of 13

Whew!

Site Advisor is gone, thank God! Yes, games are all quarantined, so I won't touch.

Someone over on Big Fish Chit Chat forum posted that McAfee fixed today - it was working for some and not for others.

How will I know when the issue with the games is fixed - via automatic updates?

Merry Christmas to you too!
asuperstar103
Former Member
Message 8 of 13

RE: Whew!

Uh oh, what about IE. I followed the instructions u gave me for firefox and disabled the site advisor, but it didnt work??
ljmacrae
Former Member
Message 9 of 13

IE

I asked about IE in post #5, got a reply in post #6, and it worked for me - did you try that?
earthdragunz
Former Member
Message 10 of 13

RE: Whew!

for IE, try this:

for IE6:

- click on Tools, then Manage Add-ons
- locate all SiteAdvisor objects, then click Disable on the lower part

for IE7:

- click on Tools, then Manage Add-ons, then click Enable or Disable Add-ons
- locate all SiteAdvisor objects, then click Disable

hope it helps
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community