cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
admin
Former Member
Message 1 of 10

Site Advisor wants to save uploaded latest version in My Documents - what should I do

Hi,

I have McAfee VirusScan Plus 2007: AntiVirus, Firewall & AntiSpyware installed on my computer. For the last few weeks McAfee Site Advisor has frequently been causing Internet Explorer to crash when I am viewing saved off-line web pages - it never crashes IE6 when I am actually on the Internet. Disabling Site Advisor temporarily solves the problem and I am able to view off-line web pages for a little while but then the problem happens again and I have to re-enable Site Advisor.

I clicked on Get Latest Version in the Site Advisor drop-down menu and it said that I are have version 1.6.0.23 of SiteAdvisor's Internet Explorer plug-in but that there's a newer version of SiteAdvisor available called version 2.6.0.6253.

When I click "Upgrade" it wants to save the new Site Advisor version in My Documents. I have access everything else to do with McAfee by clicking on the McAfee icon at the bottom of my screen. What should I do - how do I get the latest version of Site Advisor to be saved in the correct place?
9 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 10

RE: Site Advisor wants to save uploaded latest version in My Documents - what should I do

I would advise you to uninstall SiteAdvisor first. reboot and then install the newest version either from http://www.siteadvisor.com or from your account.

If you need help check here: http://community.mcafee.com/showthread.php?t=211820

You'll find it either listed as itself in Control Panel/Programs or included in McAfee Security Center item, in which case select the latter and then select only SiteAdvisor when the menu appears.
admin
Former Member
Message 3 of 10

RE: Site Advisor wants to save uploaded latest version in My Documents - what should I do

Thanks for your reply. I've uninstalled my McAfee Site Advisor but when I go to the Site Advisor website it STILL wants me to download the latest version into a place on my computer like My Documents or My Computer. There seems no way of getting the new version to download into McAfee. Is it OK to put it just anywhere on my computer - what should I do?
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 10

Do you get this window (click thumbnail below)? Are you signed in as an Administrator?

Can you please post more information...

Please include the following information:
What is your operating system, service pack and are you up to date with Microsoft update? Click Start/Run and enter winver then click OK or hit the Enter key post those results and post your browser version from Help/About.

What McAfee products do you have? If your taskbar icon is like this: - right-click it and go to each application "About" and post the details.
If it is like this: - double-click to open SecurityCenter and then click "View Details" or "About" at the lower right of the new window. Post the details from each module.
admin
Former Member
Message 5 of 10

Thank you for your reply. No, I am not signed in as an Administrator. Yes, I do get the window which you attached as a thumbnail on your message.

Sorry I did not provide more information about my browser, operating system, etc. Here is the information you asked for. Not all of it may be relevant but I didn’t know what I should or should not include so decided to post all of it:

I have Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (Media Center Edition, Version 2002 [in another place is says it’s Version 5.1, Build 2600.xpsp_sp2_qfe.070227-2300: Service Pack 2]).

I am up to date with Windows updates which I always have set to Automatic so they download automatically, but I’m not quite sure about Microsoft updates.

My computer is a Toshiba PC. All the system requirements needed for downloading McAfee Site Advisor (operating system, web browser and minimum hardware requirements) are present on my computer.

My browser is Internet Explorer 6.

The McAfee products installed on my computer are as follows:

SecurityCenter
Version: 8.0
Build: 8.0.244
AffID: 0-221
Language: en-gb
Last Update: 04.12.2007

VirusScan
Version: 12.0
Build: 12.0.176
AffId: 0-221
Last Update: 10.01.2008
DAT Version: 5203.0000
DAT Creation Date: 09.01.2008
Engine Version: 5200.2160

Personal Firewall
Version: 9.0
Build: 9.0.136
AffId: 0
Last Update: 02.12.2007
I
n contrast with the 3 McAfee products listed above, all of which are regularly updated every week or so, my McAfee Site Advisor (version 1.6.0.23 ) was last updated at the end of July 2007, when we first installed McAfee, and it has not been updated at all since then. As I said in my last message, I have now uninstalled McAfee Site Advisor but am still concerned that the new version will be saved in the wrong place.

I hope the information I’ve given you is helpful and that you can now get my problem sorted out!
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 10

Normally to download and install any application one has to be signed in as an Adminstrative-level user so can you try that please?

You might want to consider updating IE to version 7, it's safer and much more functional.
admin
Former Member
Message 7 of 10

Thanks for your reply. I have now signed in as an administrator but am still uncertain about how to proceed. I did go to My Account in McAfee but found that the free Site Advisor link on there led me to exactly the same page as on the link you gave me for Site Advisor's website - maybe I shouldn't have been surprised...

Anyway, here's a description of what actually happens when I click the "Save" option on the Site Advisor download button: it asks me if I want to save or run the application and I click "Save". Then a window comes up giving me the options of saving Site Advisor in My Documents, My Computer, My Recent Documents, My Computer or My Network Places. Nowhere does it give me the option of saving Site Advisor as an upgrade in McAfee, where it belongs.

I am sorry that I've been such a nuisance - maybe it would be best to wait until the end of July this year when the subscription for my McAfee package expires. Then I will buy a new package (probably the 2008 one) which will hopefully include a Site Advisor product which works properly all the time!

Thanks for the link to Technical Support Chat - I'll have a look at that and tell you how I get on.

Thanks for trying to help!
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 10

I really don't know what is going on. I suggest you try Technical Support Chat linked in my signature. Disable all pop-up blockers for that to work.
admin
Former Member
Message 9 of 10

All going well again!

Well, I decided to go ahead and download the free new version of McAfee Site Advisor from the Site Advisor web site. I decided to download it onto my desktop because that was one of the few places it would let me download it to. The download went well and took only 5 minutes, and the actual installation took a few seconds – very quick!

Downloading it to my desktop of course meant that I now had the Site Advisor Setup icon on there together with all the other icons already present. I didn’t really want an extra icon on my desktop so, feeling brave, decided to delete the Site Advisor icon, get rid of it from the Recycle Bin and then just see if it still worked. I wasn’t expecting it to still work but to my great surprise, it does.

I just thought I’d tell you about all this so you know that you don’t have to have any annoying extra icon on your desktop if you don’t want to – it’s obviously just a temporary setup icon and once you’ve clicked the button to install the software then you’re able to delete the icon and still enjoy the benefits of Site Advisor as normal!

I see that there are loads of complaints in this Site Advisor section from people who were having the same problem of a crashing Internet Explorer as me! For some reason the previous version of Site Advisor which I had never updated itself whereas all the other McAfee products like the Firewall updated themselves several times a week, so I think that’s why I began having trouble with Site Advisor. At least now the new version is supposed to update itself automatically, so let’s hope I won’t have to worry any more about that issue! I also see I have the option of "Upgrade to Site Advisor Plus" on the drop down menu of the Site Advisor toolbar rather than the "Get New Version" which was what I had before – all new and improved!

Thank you very much for trying to help me – I do wish I had gone ahead and downloaded the new version of Site Advisor straight away without giving you all this trouble but I had never done this kind of download before and wasn’t quite sure what I should be doing. I am very happy with my new version and think it’s much better than the previous one!
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 10

RE: All going well again!

Glad you are OK now. User decided to cancel the forum profile so have locked this thread.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community