cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jmckee
Contributor III
Message 1 of 9

Site Advisor problem?

Is there something wrong with this picture? Every time I went to the site today , it gave me the following:

SA.jpg

8 Replies
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 9

Re: Site Advisor problem?

I was wondering when someone would ask about this.  We've been seeing this all day, and there's a lively discussion going on behind the scenes about it. Best guess is that this is not SiteAdvisor but NetGuard, which works by blocking connections to IP addresses - presumably by checking blacklists. Somewhere on the page there's a download from an external site which is being blocked but for the life of us we can't work out what it is. It could be one of the "Share" links to Facebook or Twitter, but might equally be caused by one of the non-site servers which feeds in content. It might or might not be a valid warning, but it doesn't look too good, does it?

jmckee
Contributor III
Message 3 of 9

Definitely does not look good. Not sure it is Net Guard as I have it turned off.

Tried accessing the site in IE and did not get the banner. In Firefox , I get it every time.

Message was edited by:       jmckee on 5/27/12 4:19:43 AM EDT
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 9

We have two mentions of this now. The other is at https://community.mcafee.com/message/241607#241607

I suspect tracking content from AddThis or Omniture may be the culprit, but can't be sure.

Edit - moved this to the SiteAdvisor section.

Message was edited by: Hayton on 27/05/12 16:08:15 IST
okanaganfan
Contributor II
Message 5 of 9

Hello Hayton and jmckee:

I'm also seeing the black McAfee banner mentioned above on the McAfee Communities web site. However, unlike jmckee, I'm seeing it while using Internet Explorer 8.

Just in case anyone reading this would like to know:

My operating system is Windows XP Pro with Service Pack 3

The only browser I'm using, for now, is Internet Explorer 8

The anti-virus software I'm using is McAfee Internet Security. I have the NetGuard turned off.

Just thought I should mention this because I'm using Internet Explorer and have NetGuard turned off. Thought it might be helpful for the McAfee techs to know this, if you don't mind passing this on Hayton, and if you think they might be interested? No sarcasm is meant here, despite it sounding sarcastic, sorry.

Take good care of you all

Erin

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 9

I'm pretty sure it's caused by the 3rd-party web tracking code from AddThis. We have 3 threads now, and AddThis is a common factor on two sites.

I'm wondering if there's a connection with the introduction yesterday of new EU laws that prevent websites setting cookies without consent. Just the coincidence of dates.

marktoronto
Contributor
Message 7 of 9

I think I can confirm this.

I manage a few sites where this has suddenly started popping up.

It even happens on a static "coming soon" page for a site where I added an AddThis to the page.

I seriously hope somebody really nails McAfee one day with a class action lawsuit due to lost revenue for pulling things like this on site owners.

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 8 of 9

Too early to blame McAfee for this. Last time I saw this was on a site where they were taking a Flash advertisement in an iframe from another site. The ad was actually safe enough, it's just the way it was implemented wasn't.

AddThis may have changed or added something in the past few days that has triggered this. It needs to be followed up, and I've alerted the site administrator to the problem. Let McAfee talk to AddThis to sort it out.

annalee
Former Member
Message 9 of 9

I agree. All three sites that I know have this problem also have https://s7.AddThis.com/static/r07/sh088.html in the Privacy Report of IE8 on my computer.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community