Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DEdvalson
Former Member
Message 1 of 11

Site Advisor is always Grey

Hi,

I have spent two days working with McAfee tech support on this one to no avail.

On one of my computers, the SiteAdvisor Button/Logo is always gray. Clicking on it has no effect, the menu is not brought up from the arrow.

The Browser Helper Object is not listed in IE - Manage Add-Ons but it is listed under BHOs in the registry.

It appears that something is stopping the BHO from running, but I am at a loss as to what it might be.

If anyone can offer any help, it would be greatly appreciated.

I am running IE 6.0.2900 on Windows XP Pro SP2. I have removed all other plug ins / toolbars from Internet Explorer. I have installed and uninstalled SiteAdvisor repeatedly. I also ran the IERegFix.bat file supplied by McAfee Tech Support.
10 Replies
DEdvalson
Former Member
Message 2 of 11

RE: Site Advisor is always Grey

OH, I forgot to add. SiteExplorer for FireFox works great on this computer.
paullotion
Former Member
Message 3 of 11

It seems some parts of siteadvisor are not installing,uninstall siteadvisor for IE.

Then try these steps.
Open Internet Explorer, Go to Tools > Internet Options, Click on the Delete Cookies and Delete Files. Choose to Delete Offline content on the prompt.

while enabling ActiveX manually from Internet Explorer>Tools>Internet Options>Security tab>Custom Level, make sure to set "Download Unsigned ActiveX controls" to "Prompt" & not to "Enable".

Click on the Privacy Tab. Click on the Advanced Button, Select the Checkbox "Override Automatic Cookies Handling" and choose Accept for First and third Party cookies. Also check the box "Allow Session Cookies" Click on the Ok.

Click on the ProgramsTab. Make sure the checkbox "Internet Explorer should check to see whether it is default browser" is checked. Click on the Ok. Click on the Advanced tab, click on the Restore Default button. Click on the Apply and Ok.

Now Go to Start > Run > Type %temp% press enter. Empty the Temp folder by click on Edit>Select all from menu on top & press Delete key from Keyboard.

Open Internet Explorer, Go to View>Tool bars & ensure that only Standard buttons & Address Bar are checked. Uncheck the rest.

Try to install.
DEdvalson
Former Member
Message 4 of 11

Hi,

Thanks for the detailed steps. Unfortunately, it didn't make any difference. I still get the same results.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Don
paullotion
Former Member
Message 5 of 11

brentmeister
Former Member
Message 6 of 11

EXACTLY the same problem over here...

Did you find any solution to this problem? I'm having the same issue...

Brentmeister-
Raja
Former Member
Message 7 of 11

RE: EXACTLY the same problem over here...

Are you behind a proxy?
brentmeister
Former Member
Message 8 of 11

Well, my computer is behind my DSL modem that supports bridged and routed mode. I need the routed mode, so, I'm behind a router.
But I'm also using Kaspersky Internet Security 7, which overrules WinXP's built-in firewall with it's own. The firewall is configurable.
Raja
Former Member
Message 9 of 11

More than likely the traffic is being blocked by either the router or the Host based firewall.

SiteAdvisor needs to have access to the ratings server. This is located at siteadvisor.com.
brentmeister
Former Member
Message 10 of 11

Did you ever get this issue resolved, because I'm having the exact same problem.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community