cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
musashi9
Former Member
Message 1 of 11

Site Advisor has disappeared

Last week I was asked to install an update for SA to my FF addons. All went well then a few days ago I was asked to update it again.
Only this time when I restarted FF, SA was missing. no big balloon on the bottom right and no small balloons on my Google searches .
It is still in my add ons list but now the options button is greyed out.

FF 3.0.5
Vista home premium
SA 28.0

I don't want to install the new version from the website because of all the other things it installs (based on what I have read here)
Can anyone help me get my SA back to normal?
10 Replies
supermariokart
Former Member
Message 2 of 11

Uninstall and try an older version

First, look in Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel for Mcafee Siteadvisor, and uninstall it if present. Next, look in Firefox's add ons and press uninstall on Siteadvisor. After restarting Firefox, download the older version http://community.mcafee.com/showthread.php?t=220931&page=3 (The link is in the second post on that page). Save the file somewhere like your desktop, and drag it into an open Firefox window. It should install, but Firefox will say there is the update available. DON'T INSTALL THE UPDATE.

Instead, find the folder where Firefox saves the extension by searching for "{1650a312-02bc-40ee-977e-83f158701739}" on your computer. It should be a folder,and it should contain a file called install.rdf. Open this file in a text editor and delete the line
<em:updateURL>https://sadownload.mcafee.com/products/sa/firefox/update.rdf</em:updateURL>

Make sure Firefox is closed and save the file. Now when you open Firefox again, check for updates, and it should say none available for Siteadvisor. This will keep Siteadvisor at version 26.6 without ever updating because the update server url is deleted.
mightyglydd
Contributor
Message 3 of 11

Still Wants To Update

Thanks for the 26.6 link, back to normal after deleting every trace of the invasive many tentacled latest disaster.
I deleted that line, followed your instructions (twice), but when I check for updates in FF it still says 28.0 is available!
The Borg have taken over, I think it might be time to switch to WOT, any ideas?
Happy Hols.
supermariokart
Former Member
Message 4 of 11

RE: Still Wants To Update

Sorry, I was using Linux when I tried the older version first. Firefox on Windows seems to keep a record of update urls in the Firefox profile directory called "extensions.rdf". I don't recommend editing this file, but I found another way to solve the update problem.

First, uninstall version 26.6 of Siteadvisor from the Firefox addons window. Find the Safe.xpi file you downloaded earlier and rename it to safe.zip. Extract it to a folder (before this, right click and go to the zip file's properties and be sure to press the unblock button, if there is one, and click ok.) In the extracted folder, there should be the same install.rdf file like you edited earlier. Open it and follow the instructions for it in my previous post. Once you save the file, highlight all the files and folders in the same folder including install.rdf (hold control and click all the files), right click, and choose send to>compressed zipped folder. (The send to zipped folder may be called something different on Vista, but that is what it says on Windows XP.) Now, rename the new zip file that appears in that folder to safe.xpi. Install this in Firefox by dragging it into an empty window. After restarting firefox for the installation, try the update check again. This time it should say no updates available.

If this works correctly, I recommend saving the new safe.xpi file somewhere you can access it again if you ever reinstall windows or firefox.

When I looked for the update problem, I found SaSetup64.exe and temp.exe (both have a Mcafee icon) in the Firefox profile folder. To make sure these don't install the ie plugin and yahoo search bar mess, search for and delete the "SaSetup64.exe" and "temp.exe" (make sure they have a mcafee icon to ensure they are the right files to delete). You may not have these files if you never successfully installed version 28.0.

P.S.: I use WOT and Siteadvisor side by side in my Firefox, and that way I see both sites' opinions about each result in Google/Yahoo/Live Search.
mightyglydd
Contributor
Message 5 of 11

RE: Still Wants To Update

You say 'if' this works, well does it or doesn't it?
That seems like an awful lot of work, surely there's an easier way!
By the way those two FF profile files stick out like a sore thumb, like I said I deleted every trace of '28.0', which is not in fact the version they download!!!
Thanks again for 26.6, I just won't update it.
musashi9
Former Member
Message 6 of 11

hmmm

hmmm That seems like a lot of hard work that I don't really think I should have to do
So sorry McAfee but you burnt my fingers and now it is time to try another advisor.

Thanks for the help tho guys much appreciated
Kidd
Former Member
Message 7 of 11

RE: hmmm

I used this Safe.xpi file to install 2.6 and changed Firefox Updates to ask permission before installing (tools/options/advanced/update), Now you can choose not to update until it's sorted. 🙂

Kidd
Raja
Former Member
Message 8 of 11

FYI... https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB59990

You'll only be able to use 2.6 until next December.
After that it will no longer receive ratings.

-R-
Kidd
Former Member
Message 9 of 11

Plenty of time for McAfee to sort out SiteAdvisor!

Kidd
mightyglydd
Contributor
Message 10 of 11

Yeah that makes total sense Raja, wreck what's left of McAfee's dubious bloatware reputation by discontinuing the only good thing they had going for them.
The biggest mistake the original SiteAdvisor Firefox Add-On creator made was selling out to a security company that sees fit to install unauthorized Spyware on the unsuspecting users box.
That 28.0 update is nothing short of criminal.
I for one won't be waiting a year, WOT's now installed here and the moment they start any Mcafee like monkey business they'll be gone too.

Nothing personal intended ,

Happy SiteAdvisorless new year! happy
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community