cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
user_153650
Former Member
Message 111 of 134

Re: Site Advisor browser button is always gray?

Jump to solution

csc32,

I too have installed Norton Safe Web Lite and WOT, and am having the same results you did, but I don't know how to show it as you did in your post.  Nevertheless, this makes 2 of us (@ a minimum) that can verify that the problem is McAfee's, as it's Site Advisor button remains grey and is still not displaying any safety icons.

'LizBeth

mattlucky
Former Member
Message 112 of 134

Jump to solution

Just one question before I'm going to shoot and cook the Easter Bunny    : who of you all have the internet connection turned on all the time?

What I mean: is the connection always on and do you start up and shut down the computer this way, or do you make connection after the computer is booted and do you disconnect befor you turn off the computer?

I do not always have the internet connection on, in fact I very often am not on the internet and during that time I have my internet connecetion turned off.

I noticed that if I leave the connection on when I shut down the computer, the SA button is green after a new start up. However when the connection is turned off before I shut down the computer, the button is gray and stays this way after booting and connecting to the internet.

Also I found out that when the SA button is gray and I click on it to open the SA site, the button that shows in the SA site is green. When I hit the home button (in my case that is Google) SA works and keeps working.

All together this (also) makes me believe that this is a connection issue; during booting SA seeks connection tot the database and fails because there is no connection. Or am I telling nonsense now and am I seeing things that are not there?

Happy Easter to you all.

Matthew.

user_153650
Former Member
Message 113 of 134

Jump to solution

Happy Easter to you, Matthew!

My internet is always on, even when the pc isn't, due to the fact that we have a wireless router.  I can get Site Reports, but only after clicking on that option; my button remains consistently and stubbornly gray.

I did, however, have an unusual thing happen yesterday.

My husband was logged on; I noticed that the McAfee icon in the taskbar was missing, but the Site Advisor light was green!  I don't know why the McAfee icon wasn't in the taskbar, but was elated to see Site Advisor finally working!  I checked a couple other websites, and it continued to work.  I logged off his name (a non-admin account) and logged into mine (admin acct).  My Mcafee icon did show in the taskbar, and Site Advisor was still working!  I was all ready to write a huge Thank You to McAfee, but upon re-starting, the same old problem re-appeared. 

Like you,  I tend to think this is due to some kind of a connection issue . . . hopefully McAfee will find a resolution soon!

'LizBeth

jmckee
Contributor III
Message 114 of 134

Jump to solution

The SA button on my system has started going green after being online for a little while. I also log off the connection and shut down the computer when I am not on. No sense running up the electric bill.

It does seen like a connection issue.

user_153650
Former Member
Message 115 of 134

Jump to solution

Thanks for your input, jmckee.

When does your SA button go green?

I too log off/shut down the pc when I am not on, but I have a 20something w/a laptop that needs the wireless access.  I doubt that's the problem, re: SA, as we've been using the router for years, and SA only quit workiing after it's 3.6.0.187 update.

I know this issue is getting old, but patience is a virtue! 

Try to hang in here w/us.

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 116 of 134

Jump to solution

I've deliberately stayed out of the thread for a while (and then last week we were all busy dealing with unwelcome visitors) but I've been keeping an eye on developments, such as they are. Or aren't. The last encouraging sign was over two weeks ago when the SiteAdvisor people were actively involved, but I don't see anything much happening since; so I brought this up last night in the conference call.

I still say it's a problem with the server-side software not talking properly to the SiteAdvisor software on your machines. Whether it's because of incompatible versions of software, or some program setting that keeps getting wrongly set when your system starts up, it's not a general problem - so the SiteAdvisor people need to be nudged every so often in order to stop their attention wandering.

The Tier 3 tech on the call knows about this (not least because I reminded him ) and he's going to ask the one we know as OKV to come back and have another go at sorting this out.

btw I think it was you 'LizBeth who promoted me to McAfee Support?  Thanks for the promotion, but I'm still waiting for a raise salary ... we mods are all volunteeers and so we're unpaid.

Of course, if they want to employ me in Support, here I am ....

jmckee
Contributor III
Message 117 of 134

Jump to solution

'LizBeth wrote:

Thanks for your input, jmckee.

When does your SA button go green?

The button generally goes green within a minute or so and works from then on. I'm on dialup , so the lag time is understandable. SA seems to be working OK now after uninstalling and reinstalling while online.

user_153650
Former Member
Message 118 of 134

Jump to solution

Hi Hayton,

Nice to have you back!   Thank you for checking in on us and nudging along the SA "powers that be".

Re: Promoting you, I may have?  I wanted to give you a "kudo" or a "shout out" for your excellent service?  As the originator of this thread, I think you have been the most helpful, and consistently interested moderater, in this topic.  If you need a recommendation, I'll gladly give you one! 

I hope you'll continue to keep our problem in mind.

Thank you again for all your support.

'LizBeth

user_153650
Former Member
Message 119 of 134

Jump to solution

Hmmm . . . so you uninstalled and re-installed SA while online on dial-up?

okv
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 120 of 134

Jump to solution

We're trying to get more data from users as issue is of intermittent nature and we can't reproduce it in-house. We'll udpate the thread as we progress.

Site Advisor development team.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community