cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
user_153650
Former Member
Message 71 of 134

Re: Site Advisor browser button is always gray?

Jump to solution

I gave this a try, i.e. turning NetGuard off in the firewall settings for saui.exe.  It worked, but only until I rebooted.  So now I have the Net Guard off; SSL is off under the SA Options.  SSL 2.0 and 3.0 are checked, TLS 1.0 is unchecked in Internet Options.  And my browser button is once again gray. 

user_153650
Former Member
Message 72 of 134

Jump to solution

Thank you again, Hayton, for all your help, patience and also all your clarifications/explanations through all of this.  I appreciate it.  🙂

user_153650
Former Member
Message 73 of 134

Jump to solution

The same is true for me, jmckee, re:  knowing in advance whether or not a site is safe.

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 74 of 134

Jump to solution

@all : sorry everyone, but I'm out of ideas for the moment. We need someone from the SiteAdvisor team to come and offer some new suggestions or at least narrow down the list of possible causes. All the clues are there, they should be able to home in on the problem areas.

If no-one posts in the thread on Monday (they won't before then) I'll give this a nudge in the conference call.

user_153650
Former Member
Message 75 of 134

Jump to solution

Thank you Hayton.  You've been great!

I hope someone on the McAfee Site Advisor team can figure this out, for all of us!

csc32
Former Member
Message 76 of 134

Jump to solution

Just to add to the confusion and in case someone from the SiteAdvisor Team is monitoring this thread…

On 3/12/2013 I did a fresh reinstall of McAfee Security Center suite, executing the Pre-install McAfee program and the McAfee Cleanup Tool.  I also Deactivated my subscription prior to uninstalling and Reactivated after reinstalling.

When I check the status of SiteAdvisor it went down a version from 3.6.0.187 to 3.5.0.229 and WAS working!

After the next reboot it was back up to Version 3.6.0.187 and NOT working.  Note: I didn’t request an update or re-install of SiteAdvisor so it must have been an auto update from McAfee.

Also, McAfee Virtual Technician found

Expected Registry Value not PresentHKEY CURRENT USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Certificate Revocation

This means MVT only re-enabled the Advanced Internet Option that the Level 2 Technician turned-off for ’Check for server certificate revocation’.

MVT said it could NOT FIX this problem

Expected File not Present in SiteAdvisor

File: c:\program files\mcafee\siteadvisor\cblist.dat

Now that sounds important!

So can others respond as to whether or not they have
File: c:\program files\mcafee\siteadvisor\cblist.dat ?? and if their Siteadvisor is working or not.

Thanks,

csc32

okv
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 77 of 134

Jump to solution

We are in touch with some users and investigating. We have certain directions but need to collect more data to address the issue.

Thanks for your help.

SiteAdvisor Development team.

jmckee
Contributor III
Message 78 of 134

Jump to solution

csc32 wrote:

File: c:\program files\mcafee\siteadvisor\cblist.dat ?? and if their Siteadvisor is working or not.

Thanks,

csc32

Just checked and I do have the cblist.dat file. However , SA is not working except for the session immediately after the daily DAT update. The button will go green then , but other sessions (powered off between) the nutton stays gray.

user_153650
Former Member
Message 79 of 134

Jump to solution

csc32 wrote:

Thanks,

csc32

I too have the cblist dat file, but my Site Advisor button remains gray.  I can still get the Site Report, but only after I'm already there . . . which, in some cases, may be too late?! 

mattlucky
Former Member
Message 80 of 134

Jump to solution

Hi everybody,

in response to csc32 ’s question I can say that I have c:\program files\mcafee\siteadvisor\cblist.dat . And my button is gray.

It only works when I do my famous trick (turn SA off in add ons, reboot my pc and turn it on again). However, I must say this not always works.  Sometimes it remains gray. In that case I reinstall the SA.

I also ran the Virtual Technician. In fact I ran it twice: once with a gray and once with a green button. However, in both scans VT  found no problems.

When it concernce computers, I’m a total nitwit. I only know how to operate them, so I have no idea what causes this problem, nor do I have a solution.

I’,m glad people from McAfee are working on it.    

For everybody who is working on it I might add that I have noticed that, when SA is not working, IE sometimes is slow. It hangs for a couple of seconds as if there is some work in progress (in the background). But I have no idea if this has something to do with this issue.   

Regards,  Matthew.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community