cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
user_153650
Former Member
Message 51 of 134

Re: Site Advisor browser button is always gray?

Jump to solution

I'm running IE 8; everything is up to date, and I still have the same problem. 

user_153650
Former Member
Message 52 of 134

Jump to solution

Hayton,

Thank you for your help and suggestions.

I'll give this a try, and see what happens next.  I'll also try your Firewall suggestion, and re-try mattlucky's suggestion.

I'm not so sure this problem is on the "client" end though, as many of us are experiencing this problem, to 1 degree or another, and across various systems and browsers.

'LizBeth

mattlucky
Former Member
Message 53 of 134

Jump to solution

An update:

For almost two days now  I’m having no problems anymnore. S.A. works as it used to do. I can reboot, shut the computer down, turn the power off, leave it for a while, turn the power back on, startup, etcetera. S.A. is working.  

I followed the instructions from csc32 (thank you for posting!) and along "Use SSL 3.0", that already was checked, I checked "Use SSL 2.0". That seems to do the trick for me (I haved IE 9).

Stilll its strange that many people are having  this problem.

I might add that I somtimes excperience a very little delay in the action of the S.A.: it’s  green, I switch to another site, S.A. turns gray and a second later it turns green. 

This is a daly in the connection (the handshaking)? Or am I saying something very stupid now?  

I will spare all of you the horrorible details I encountred when I contacted the Dutch Helpdesk with his problem (that was before I joined up here).

It ended in a total reinstallation of my pc because the technician had removed some of my software (without any waring, notification ore consultation).

Thanks to everybody who has contributed and is contributing in solving this problem.

I hope that McAfee finds a solutioin for all of us. IMHO the S.A.  should work after instalation without using some extra tricks or changing some of the standard settings.

I will stay tuned and keep you posted if something happens. So with a bit of luck I will be back tomorrow with S.A. turned gray again. (Just kidding!  )

Regards,

Matthew. 

csc32
Former Member
Message 54 of 134

Jump to solution

Matthew,

I'm having mixed results since IE9 is using SSL 2.0 along with SSL3.0.

In the past two days it has worked only about 20% of the time and when it is working I notice the same 'delay' in SA going green when switching to another site.

Also, just like LizBeth I do not receive the McAfee 'whoa' page when accessing 'screensaver.com'.

All the best,
CSC32

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 55 of 134

Jump to solution

@csc32  :  "screensaver.com" (singular) is Green, it;s okay

"screensavers.com" (plural)  is Red, and should bring up a blocking screen.

@'Lizbeth : open a command window (Start --> Run --> 'cmd' without any quotes) and do a Ping - type 'ping siteadvisor.com' (no quotes), press Enter, and see what messages come back. If you can ping the site then it's not a network connection problem. It could then be an IE settings problem, so try another browser - Chrome is probably best for this.If you still get a grey SiteAdvisor symbol (a small shield somewhere top right) then it's not a browser-specific issue.

jmckee
Contributor III
Message 56 of 134

Jump to solution

Both IE and Firefox were showing the SA button as gray. Tried the ping and it worked fine.  Both SSL 2.0 and 3.0 are checked in IE.

on 3/7/13 3:59:37 PM EST
jess1ca
Former Member
Message 57 of 134

Jump to solution

well, i tried the unchecking and the checking of the SSL 2.0. Glad to say the button is now showing colour. Also, for some unknown reason, it works on my chrome too... Just by changing my IE settings.

Thank you for your help!

Rest assured I'll be back if there's any problems.

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 58 of 134

Jump to solution

@jess1ca, do you mean you went into IE settings and selected SSL2 as well as SSL3 ? That's how I have it set in IE, with TLS 1.0 being not checked.

I don't see why that would affect the security settings in Chrome, but I'm prepared to accept that it might. I know McAfee uses IE settings for displaying all its windows, so perhaps SiteAdvisor takes its settings from IE as well.

I'm still not happy about SiteAdvisor using a deprecated protocol like SSL, especially as the encryption algorithm (MD5) is also weak. I suppose there has to be a trade-off between security and usability.

mattlucky
Former Member
Message 59 of 134

Jump to solution

Hi everybody!  I'm back!

The joke I made yesterday turns out to be no joke. This morning I started up my PC the S.A. suddenly was gray again.

I had to perform the old trick: turn off S.A. in the I.E., reboot and turn the S.A. on again.

So we are back were we started. I hope the techs will come up with a permanent solution.

Regards,

Matthew.

jess1ca
Former Member
Message 60 of 134

Jump to solution

That's it. First, I unchecked the other 3 as well. But I realised that even if I didn't uncheck them, SiteAdvisor seems to be working fine. When I turn on my computer again tomorrow, I'll let you guys know how it went.

(To be honest, I have no idea what all those mean, the SSL and TLS and what nots. I just follow what you guys suggest and see if it works.)

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community