cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thurst
Former Member
Message 21 of 134

Re: Site Advisor browser button is always gray?

Jump to solution

I have stumbled on this post trying to find a solution to my grayed out site advisor as well.  I am running Windows 7 IE9, and Sie Advisor 3.6.0.807.  I am able to navigate to the help site, and have not installed anything that would change my DNS.  Like LizBeth, my problems started with the last update dated 12/22/2012.

mattlucky
Former Member
Message 22 of 134

Jump to solution

Hi, I’m new tot his forum and I’m having the same problem  (I have Win7, IE9, Sec.Center 12.1, S.A. 3.6.0).

The Virt. Techn.  says there are no problems, removing and  reinstalling te S.A. only helps for a short period. (I even reinstalled McAfee completely, with no result.)

I noticed that the icon will not sart working when I first open the IE and after that make the connection to the internet. So I did a little test:

-As soon as the icon turns gray and stops working, I turn off the S.A. (in add-ons).

-The (gray) S.A. icon disappears from the IE.

-I restart the computer, I make connection to the internet, open IE and enable the S.A. again.

-To my surprise the S.A. starts working  again.

Of course this not the way it should work, but maybe somebody can figure out why that is so it can be solved for everybody. 

Regards,

Matthew. 

mvissche
Contributor III
Message 23 of 134

Jump to solution

All,

First, thanks for giving us all this feedback here.  I'll be honest, we haven't seen this issue in our QA cycles nor are able to recreate it yet.  Matthew's recent description may help shed some light on this - I'm passing this on to our Engineering team for further triage.

Hoping we can bring this to a close together soon - I'll be in touch when I have more information to share.

Cheers,

Mark Visscher

SiteAdvisor product manager

user_153650
Former Member
Message 24 of 134

Jump to solution

Mark,

Thank you for your reply.  I (and others) are awaiting a solution to this problem.

'LizBeth

antman
Former Member
Message 25 of 134

Jump to solution

Hi

I am having the same  issue. Have just installed Macfee on a new window 8 laptop . I am running chrome and the site advisor is activated. Don't believe DNS is the issue as my other PC's eg desktop on the same network are fine and I am not havng any issues with DNS for other sites on this WIN 8 PC.

Chrome version 24.0.1312.57m

Site Advisor 3.6.0.187

My desktop has the same version of Site Advisor and chrome on on Win 7 pro and is running fine.

Ha, Problem solved. Went to the SiteAdvisor site and re-installed the only the Site advisor module....now it works. When I installed the enitre Macfee package I had an issue. Bit odd but I am gladity works now.

on 2/22/13 11:03:59 PM CST
user_153650
Former Member
Message 26 of 134

Jump to solution

Thank you for your reply, Matt.

I gave your test a try, but it didn't work for me on my Windows XP SP3 pc w/IE 8 (all updates) installed),. 

'LizBeth

user_153650
Former Member
Message 27 of 134

Jump to solution

I've re-installed Site Advisor (by itself) twice.  It still doesn't work.

The only thing I haven't tried is a complete uninstall of everything, which is a pain, but maybe it's what I'll have to resort to, to get this to work?  Not looking forward to having to do that.    Plus, I'm paying for it as part of my McAfee Anti-Virus Plus Subscription, when lo and behold, it's actually free?!

I think it's time I look around . . .

'LizBeth

jmckee
Contributor III
Message 28 of 134

Jump to solution

Same results here. Totally uninstalled SA and reinstalled a fresh download from the SA site. The button is still gray sometimes in both IE and Firefox. In IE , the button goes green more often than it does in Firefox , even on the same sites. One thing I did note was that the SA plugin in Firefox never updates - it is still for 3.6.0.126.

'LizBeth wrote:

I've re-installed Site Advisor (by itself) twice.  It still doesn't work.

The only thing I haven't tried is a complete uninstall of everything, which is a pain, but maybe it's what I'll have to resort to, to get this to work?  Not looking forward to having to do that.    Plus, I'm paying for it as part of my McAfee Anti-Virus Plus Subscription, when lo and behold, it's actually free?!

I think it's time I look around . . .

'LizBeth

Message was edited by: jmckee on 2/24/13 4:26:22 AM EST
csc32
Former Member
Message 29 of 134

Jump to solution

I too have the grayed-out SiteAdvisor and no SA ratings now for several weeks.  Using Windows Vista; IE9; McAfee Secuity Center 12.1; SiteAdvisor 3.6.0.187.

If I reinstall SA it will work until the next reboot; then it goes back to gray.

I used add/remove programs to remove the McAfee Security Center; ran MCPR; reinstalled McAfee and it will work only until the next reboot and then it's back to gray.  Hoping for a solution soon.

user_153650
Former Member
Message 30 of 134

Jump to solution

Thank you for your reply, csc32.  This seems to be a problem for various operating system.  I too am hoping for a resolution soon!

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community