cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jess1ca
Former Member
Message 11 of 134

Re: Site Advisor browser button is always gray?

Jump to solution

Hey, I'm using Windows 7, running both IE 9 and Google Chrome. The siteadvisor add-on in both always appears grey as if the site was untested for all websites, and it does not appear at the side of search results on Google as well.

Links on other websites no longer have the siteadvisor logo too. Is there something wrong?

I have tried re-installing siteadvisor as well as running MVT which said that there's nothing wrong. This problem has been on for a few days already. Is there anything that i can do to solve it?

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 12 of 134

Jump to solution

SiteAdvisor is being updated with new client-side and server-side programs, a recipe for confusion because there's a mix of programs involved now, old and new on each side. The roll-out of both new sets of programs is gradual, so some of us now have SiteAdvisor 3.6.0.187 (new version) installed and some still have the 3.5 version. What version is yours? It would help if anyone posting earlier to this thread could let me know.

fwiw I have the new version and it works fine in IE and (last time I looked) in Firefox.

mvissche
Contributor III
Message 13 of 134

Jump to solution

Hi Lizbeth, I'm asking the team to give me more details here on how to troubleshoot.  I hope to get in touch with you soon on this.

mvissche
Contributor III
Message 14 of 134

Jump to solution

Hi Jessica,

The problems you are describing almost sound like the plug-in is disabled in the respective browsers.

Chrome's latest browser update may have disabled the SiteAdvisor plug-in because of some policy changes they've incorporated relating to 3rd party plug-ins.  You can verify this by going into the browser options and check if the SiteAdvisor plug-in is still enabled.  Similarly on IE9, if you have ever responded to the "speed up by disabling add-ons" message at the bottom of the browser, this may have had an impact as well - so likewise if you can check if the plug-in is still enabled in IE, that will help rule out if this is the problem.

Cheers,

Mark

jess1ca
Former Member
Message 15 of 134

Jump to solution

Thank you for your swift replies.

@Hayton. The version I have on IE shows as 3.6.0.0 and the one on chrome says 3.60.126.1.

@mvissche.

Hi Mark.

Take a look at the screenshots I have attached below. I believe I have enabled add-ons on both chrome and IE9. Please let me know if I have been mistaken.

Regards,

Jessica
on chrome: enabled chrome.PNG

on IE9:enabled.PNG

user_153650
Former Member
Message 16 of 134

Jump to solution

Thank you for the link, Hayton.

I checked my DNS settings against those shown for Windows XP in the link above; they appear to be okay.  My Site Advisor version is 3.6.0.187. I'm still having the same problem, and this seems to be the only program I'm having trouble with. 

Any other ideas?

'LizBeth

user_153650
Former Member
Message 17 of 134

Jump to solution

Thank you for your reply as well, Mark.

I have IE 8 (8.0.6001.18702) installed and show that the McAfee SiteAdvisor Toolbar and the McAfee SiteAdvisor BHO are enabled (under Tools, Manage Add-ons).  Both are enabled, both are dated 12/4/2012, and both show as version 3.6.0.0.

If you need any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask.  I look forward to hearing from you.

'LizBeth

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 18 of 134

Jump to solution

@'Lizbeth, @Jess1ca, I'll have to think about this. Maybe there isn't one simple answer.

(Edited) You're in different countries, a long way apart, so you're probably accessing different SiteAdvisor servers.

That makes my favourite theory slightly less tenable but doesn't rule it out. I reckon you've both got the latest SiteAdvisor version, the same as mine. But I don't see it and you do. So I have to think about possible differences. In the meantime, if Mark Vissche has any ideas go with those. He's the SiteAdvisor boss, after all.

(Edit) I took out the countries. I can work them out but it could come under the heading of PII, so I replaced the line.

Message was edited by: Hayton on 15/02/13 04:16:57 GMT
jess1ca
Former Member
Message 19 of 134

Jump to solution

Thank you.

user_153650
Former Member
Message 20 of 134

Jump to solution

Thank you again, Hayton.

I do hope you, Mark, or someone can figure this out.  I've been a McAfee customer for years, and have always been able to resolve any previous problems I've had via the McAfee Community Forum or via documentation provided on McAfee's website.  I hope this too will resolve itself, 1 way or another.  It's just frustrating . . . I never had a Site Advisor problem until the most recent update. 

'LizBeth

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community