Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
me61
Former Member
Message 1 of 10

Site Advisor and Fire Fox

Hi,
I am using Windows XP, and recently installed McAfee Internet Security 2009. I have IE-8 and Firefox 3.0.8 installed as browsers. Each time I turn my computer off, and then back on, I have to download Site Advisor back for Fire Fox. I do not have to re-download Advisor for IE-8, only Fire Fox. I unistalled, re-installed FireFox per tech support instructions. I also removed the only FireFox add-on that I had. That didn't resolve the issue. I have ran the McAfee Virtual Technician and it found no problems. Any help would be appreciated.
Thank You.
9 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 10

RE: Site Advisor and Fire Fox

That sound more like a Firefox issue as mine works OK. What version of SiteAdvisor do you have installed in FF? Click to the right of the icon and select About.
me61
Former Member
Message 3 of 10

Thanks for replying, Ex-Brit. It's version 28.0
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 10

OK that isn't the latest version. Click to the right of the icon again and select "Get latest version". If it updates OK close and reopen Firefox and see if the problem persists.

If it doesn't update or if the problem persists, go to Control Panel/Add or Remove Programs (Programs/Uninstall a program in Vista) and uninstall it. If you don't see McAfee SiteAdvisor listed, look for McAfee Security Center, select it and then select only SiteAdvisor for uninstallation.

Reboot and then reinstall, either from your account or from http://www.siteadvisor.com

Hope that helps.
me61
Former Member
Message 5 of 10

E_B, Thanks for your help. I did what you suggested, but still having the same problem. The site advisor version for IE is 2.9. McAfee updated today. But when I go to siteadvisor.com to download the Firefox version, it's still 28.0 with no updates. And each time I shut down the computer, site advisor still disappears from Firefox, and Firefox also updated today.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 10

Something is radically wrong then because when Firefox updates it updates for both browsers simultaneously.

I suggest Technical Support Chat, linked at top left of this page or in my signature.
me61
Former Member
Message 7 of 10

Ex_Brit, The problem was I was hacked. All the security, updates, etc..and hacked. Did a complete pc clean with Wipe Drive, and re-installed everything from the disks I got with my Dell. So far, so good. Thank you very much for your help and your time. Also, I hope my being hacked doesn't affect you or anyone else on the boards.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 10

Oh dear, that is drastic. Anyway, hopefully you'll be OK now. Good luck.
steveskier
Contributor
Message 9 of 10

I have a similar problem. The horizontal green "McAfee SiteAdvisor" botton remains on my bottom toolbar, but SiteAdvisor fails to rate websites when I do a Google search.

The version of SiteAdvisor I have is 2.9.258. Is this the latest version? If not, should I remove SiteAdvisor and reinstall? Will that fix the problem?
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 10

2.9.258 is the latest as far as I know. I really don't know what to suggest to you, sorry. All my Google searches are normal and have the regular markings showing.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community