cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ispalten
Former Member
Message 1 of 9

Site Advisor and BootRacer...

I just got  a new computer and configured it. I want to run Boot Racer (http://www.greatis.com/bootracer/) but I get a warning NOT to d/l the file?

Capture.JPG

Capture1.JPG

Capture3.JPG

False Positive?

Message was edited by: ispalten on 5/11/14 3:33:34 PM CDT
8 Replies
selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 2 of 9

Re: Site Advisor and BootRacer...

Hi ispalten,

Try uploading the zip file (without extracting) to VirusTotal and post the Output link here to proceed further.

ispalten
Former Member
Message 3 of 9

OK, took it down. Went to VIRUSTOTAL.COM and uploaded it. Got this:

Capture.JPG

Hmm, link for last analysis is https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/6edfe482d03691fc08c87c86e543d952248e6a7eaa0d203a78690ff697323b31/...

Analysis date:                      2014-05-11 20:57:06 UTC            ( 1 hour, 4 minutes ago )

I just took it down and I got the same as above? McAfee shows 0 and updated today?

I assume it IS safe?

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 9

VirusTotal report for the zip file HERE : 0/52 (Clean, but ClamAV and Symantec rate it Suspicious/Unwanted)

The zip file contents are packed, which gives anything to be analysed an immediate warning flag.

Extracting the msi file inside the zipped folder took much longer than I would have expected.

VirusTotal report for the msi file is HERE - 0/52 (Clean, but same reservations as above).

Note that a clean VirusTotal report is not a guarantee that the object scanned is 100% safe. Malware authors tweak their code to get it through VirusTotal.

I too saw the download warning. Did you see the SiteAdvisor warning for the site download page?

bootracer download page.PNG

ispalten
Former Member
Message 5 of 9

Yes, I did see the warning for the D/L page too:

Capture2.JPG

So it is or isn't it OK? Not sure I even want to UNZIP it but I don't see anything else in the ZIP file.

BTW, all links off this thread are 'bad'? They all look like this or something like it?

===========

https://sa-live.com/l?v=0&ui=0&p=000c00000000000000000000400000000000&spid=mcafee-forums&url=-+78787...

===========

Why? I'm using Firefox and tried under IE 11 as well, the same?

ispalten
Former Member
Message 6 of 9

Now this is INTERESTING...

Went here --> http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/bootracer.html

I d/l'ed the file, NO WARNINGS? File is on my hard drive now:

============

K:\Inet DL>dir bootr*

Volume in drive K is Disk_K

Volume Serial Number is 0F0B-10C0

Directory of K:\Inet DL

05/11/14  08:29 PM         4,669,510 bootracer_free(1).zip

05/11/14  05:53 PM         4,669,510 bootracer_free.zip

2 File(s)      9,339,020 bytes

0 Dir(s)  773,401,133,056 bytes free

==============

The (1) file is from Major Geeks, the one at 5:53PM is from the author's site? They appear to be identical? Why doesn't McAfee pick the one up from Major Geeks as a problem?

ispalten
Former Member
Message 7 of 9

I started searching more on BOOTRACER. Looks like there are some uninstall issues with the program. Stuff is left behind in the registry. Programs like WinPatrol find them and warn the used. Have to edit the registry to clean the program off from your hard drive completely. Saw a link about McAfee having a hard time with BootRacer as well. Hmm....

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 8 of 9

I tried following this up and can confirm that there's no problem with downloading from the MajorGeeks site. The problem may be with something else attempting to download from the original site (I suspect an iframe is involved) but it could be that SiteAdvisor is throwing up a false alert. I can't check more because links from these pages are being broken by a failure somewhere in sa-live.com, which won't get fixed for a day or two.

ispalten
Former Member
Message 9 of 9

OK, that is good news if it is the site itself causing the problem. As I posted above I did get the warning for the D/L as well, the file itself, not the site sending it to me which I also got a warning for? It is the file from that site that McAfee thinks is bad it seems. However I compared the two from that site and Major Geeks and the size is the same? Viewing the ZIP contents in both show only 1 MSI file.

I'll wait further word from you though. I've seen reports on the web that uninstalling this program still leaves some parts on the system. Requires a registry edit.

The problem I had with SA-LIVE is that it usually timed out and it could not load the page, but it did work a few times.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community