cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
billseymour
Former Member
Message 1 of 24

Site Advisor affecting Yahoo Mail

I am aware of a problem with Site Advisor affecting Yahoo mail, that began around the same time that the problems with SiteAdvisor and Gmail in Chrome started.

In a Firefox browser, using Yahoo mail (as part of a Yahoo hosted account), I can no longer resize the Reading Pane (ie, adjust the vertical/horizontal dimensions of the pane).

After turning off all Firefox add-ons, and reinstalling one by one, it is the SiteAdvisor plugin for Firefox that is causing this problem.

I don't know whether SA is affecting Y mail in any other ways (such as Chat, etc), because I don't use these features.

It wasn't until a friend told me about the SA-Gmail-Chrome problem that I thought to check whether SA was the problem with my Y mail as well.

I hope this is of help. --Bill

- Vista

- Firefox 3.6.13

- SiteAdvisor 3.3 (there was no problem prior to this latest version)

Message was edited by: billseymour on 1/13/11 9:52:48 AM GMT-05:00

Message was edited by: billseymour on 1/13/11 9:56:03 AM GMT-05:00
23 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 24

Re: Site Advisor affecting Yahoo Mail

The Google Gmail and Chrome issue has just been patched, yesterday actually, and the update should reach everyone pretty soon.

I think perhaps you'd best open a ticket with Technical Support Chat (Useful Links above) over that so the tech side knows about it.

If you get no joy from them then I will pursue it on our next conference call on Monday with the McA bods.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 13/01/11 10:17:03 EST AM
billseymour
Former Member
Message 3 of 24

Peter-

Thanks for your quick reply. I will do as you suggested and open a ticket; hopefully you can pass this matter along as well.

Actually, there is another "drag effect" problem also occurring (and also definitely an SA add-on problem):

Inability to "drag and drop" an email from a list (such as Inbox) to a Folder,  a much more frequently used feature of email.

I am hopeful about this getting sorted out since McA has already been working the parallel SA-Gmail-Chrome issue.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 24

Hmm, not good.  I will compose an email to someone in the hope they can waylay the SA team in their tracks.  Who knows this may be a similar fix to the Chrome one that they can do fairly quickly.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 24

OK, I got an acknowledgment that it has been relayed to the SiteAdvisor development team.

billseymour
Former Member
Message 6 of 24

I just finished session with McA tech support. They couldn't resolve it at Tier 1, referencing the issue to Tier 2. Interestingly, when my computer was restarted in Safe mode, both issues were solved (drag/drop email to folder, drag resize Reading Pane). When computer was again restarted, this time in Normal mode, problem recurred.

I am also hoping this has a quick remedy, similar to the SA-Gmail-Chrome problem.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 24

At least it's being tackled from two directions now, Tech Support and through the SA team so hopefully it wont be long.

billseymour
Former Member
Message 8 of 24

I just finished last night with a long Tier2 McA session.

I'm not at all sure where things are.

After uninstall/reinstall of SA, then uninstall of total McAfee security system, then Regedit clearing of all McAfee files, then reinstall of McAfee,

SiteAdvisor works fine in FF.

However: I just checked the Siteadvisor Version number, and the version the Tier2 installed was Siteadvisor v 3.1.0.175 (from 2009!), rather than the v3.3 which was the latest Siteadvisor that was installed a few weeks ago.

And now I see that there is a 1/17/11 Siteadvisor update that wants to be installed.

So: Exactly how does a Tier2 tech of McAfee claim that the problem was resolved, when the solution is to install an older version of the software causing the problem?

And: I wonder if I should accept this 1/17/11 upgrade, or does this problem just start over again.

(Extremely dissatisfied with McAfee stating this is a "resolution of problem", and I will be sending copy of this post to them)

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 24

Well I would let it update or else it'll nag you repeatedly, but I will bring this up at our conference call later today if no improvement in the meanwhile.

billseymour
Former Member
Message 10 of 24

Peter-

Yes, I restarted system with the update.

Interestingly, this 1/17/11 update is to SA version 3.2.0.152, something previous to v3.3 (which was the SA update pushed by McA a few weeks ago).

With v3.2.0.152 installed, there are no problems in Yahoo mail/Firefox re dragging emails or drag-resizing the Reading pane.

I wonder if McA is reacting to v3.3 being a problem, with the "update" to  3.2.0.152 representing a slightly earlier, but more stable, SA.

Just wanted you to have latest information on this.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community