cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dms26
Contributor III
Message 1 of 3

Site Advisor Working, Something Deeper is Wrong

Lately, I have had problems gaining access to three programs on my PC; iTunes, Word Perfect and Mozilla Thunderbird.  I had to lower the User Account Control setting in the Control Panel to "Never Notify"  from "Notify" when a program wants to make a change to the computer, in order to access these three programs.  Only I am affected, not my wife or 2 children.  This all started the 1st of December.

When I log on to the computer, if I walk away, I come back and Firefox is open with Site Advisor marking the website http://static.australianbrewingcompany.com as a red flag not to go there..  This time I am sure I did nothing as I logged on and went to get the kids off to school.  I run weekly virus scans (full) and nothing is being found.

What is causing the browser to open to attepmt to go to this site?

2 Replies
SafeBoot
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 3

Re: Site Advisor Working, Something Deeper is Wrong

what program was trying to modify the settings?

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 3

Re: Site Advisor Working, Something Deeper is Wrong

Do you have Bluetooth turned on and checked to accept connections as in the attached picture (click to enlarge if necessary) and perhaps a device has connected  and is being reflected on your machine?

Capture.JPG

Or it simply could mean a neighbour or someone close by has theirs turned on and it's interfering with yours.  In either case if you can't alter those settings to stop it I would ask a support forum for help that deals with computer or Bluetooth issues in particular.

BUT........It could also mean that your computer has been hijacked.   Look in the last link in my signature below and run RootkitRemover and then MalwareBytes Free (lower down under Free 3rd Party Tools).  If that doesn't help scroll down and follow the advice I give on using Hijackthis.

I doubt this has anything to do with SiteAdvisor at all.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 19/12/13 8:42:27 EST AM
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community