Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Steamhead
Former Member
Message 1 of 13

Site Advisor Service conflicts with SeaMonkey 2.0

Anyone run into this one?

I recently upgraded to the recently-released Mozilla SeaMonkey 2.0. For those not familiar, this is the modern version of the former Netscape internet suite, which includes a browser, e-mail client (which now share much code with Firefox and Thunderbird) chat client and some other things. After doing so, the Cut and Copy functions did not work. I reported this to Bugzilla and it was determined that the McAfee Site Advisor service was conflicting with SM 2.0 . Disabling the service fixes the problem. Here is the Bugzilla thread, with one participant showing a bit of an attitude towards other apps:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=525601

Don't want to start a finger-pointing session here, but what can be done about this?

Tags (1)
12 Replies
Steamhead
Former Member
Message 2 of 13

Re: Site Advisor Service conflicts with SeaMonkey 2.0

Oops, hit Enter too soon........

I reported this to McAfee support, they had me uninstall and reinstall McAfee. This did not fix the problem.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 13

SiteAdvisor isn't compatible with Seamonkey.   Only IE or Firefox.

Sorry.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 11/7/09 6:35 PM
Steamhead
Former Member
Message 4 of 13

No, I didn't say I was trying to USE it in SeaMonkey, I said it was causing a conflict with SeaMonkey that wasn't there before.

McAfee chat support doesn't get it either. Their canned answers don't help.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 13

Sorry, I misunderstood.   Try the SA Feedback Form.  I've used it before and they do answer.  Use the "other" option for query type.

http://www.siteadvisor.com/userfeedback.html

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 11/7/09 7:12 PM
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 6 of 13

Send an email with Bugzilla information to support@siteadvisor.com

psuatocobra
Former Member
Message 7 of 13

Have either of the suggestions be followed up. And if so, what's the status? There's a lot of chatter on this on the various SeaMonkey user groups.

BMann
Former Member
Message 8 of 13

I've read through the submitted information as well as the bugzilla link and we have passed it on to engineering.  However, Ex-Brits comment of SiteAdvisor does not support SeaMonkey holds true.  If someone is trying to use SiteAdvisor with SeaMonkey then our recommendation would also be to not use SiteAdvisor with SeaMonkey and to disable it.

That being said, there is obviously something wrong going on that we need to investigate.  However we do need to have the SeaMonkey Project folks work with us as it may not be just a "McAfee issue".  The reason I say that is that users have obviously been having no problems with SiteAdvisor and SeaMonkey previous to the 2.0 release they did at the end of October.   As we hadn't released a new version at the time of the issue being reported to SeaMonkey, there is obviously something they changed in code that is different that either exposed an issue with SiteAdvisor that we've never seen before or has exposed an issue within their application that they were not aware of.

If a resolution is found we will provide an update.

Thanks

Message was edited by: Brian Mann on 11/13/09 12:21 AM
psuatocobra
Former Member
Message 9 of 13

The "McAfee Product Information" from my installation of McAfee Total Protection 2010 says my SiteAdvisor was last changed 10/1/2009. Was this last changed version pushed to existing users and when, or was it/is it only available via new manual installs of SiteAdvisor or SiteAdvisor in bundles.

Thanks

tdinesh1
Former Member
Message 10 of 13

Hi,
The siteadvisor's last update have occurred on the above mentioned date,Its applicable to existing users as well
Please let me know what is the last update check & the version of siteadvisor installed in your computer?

Thanks

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community