Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MJTElectrl0
Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Site Advisor/ Server Problems

Hello,

I have a website at http://electriceggcream.com. McAfee Site Advisor tested it and gave it a Green rating. Last week, my server at BlueHost went down and ever since the McAfee tab on my browser reads Gray. However, when I enter my site's url with Site Advisor itself, I'm still duly registered with a Green rating. My site appears to have lost its connection with Site Advisor. I could only conclude that this was caused by the server outage.

I'd greatly appreciate any help from this forum. (By the way, is there any way in the world to reach the Site Advisor team directly?) Thank you very much. Regards,

MJT:eek:
Tags (1)
11 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 12

RE: Site Advisor/ Server Problems

See the sticky at the top of this forum "Contacting the SiteAdvisor Team" or click here: http://community.mcafee.com/showthread.php?t=217274

There's a contact form you can use. It will take a while for them to answer as they are extremely busy apparently.
MJTElectrl0
Contributor
Message 3 of 12

RE: Site Advisor/ Server Problems

Thank you for your help, Ex_Brit. I've since noticed the info above and directly contacted the SA team. Hopefully they'll get back to me soon. Regards,

MJT:)
MJTElectrl0
Contributor
Message 4 of 12

Still In The Gray

I don't really know what Site Advisor's problems are and, to be honest, I don't really care. My website is still in the gray of non-inspection due to their team's reputed "busy schedule." My patience is now exhausted with excuses from SA and their intermediaries, as I come to realize that their busy schedule is only equaled (maybe surpassed) by their lack of proper concern towards the very sites they advise for or against.

The following is a still unanswered letter I wrote (as a follow-up to an earlier one I had received) to this Site Advisor team of cavalier busyness:

Hello Again,

It's now almost eight weeks since I contacted you about my rating problem. I've tried to be considerate and patient but fear that your proposed eight weeks are destined to turn into ten, then twelve, then I don't know how many weeks and months, until my site is correctly listed with a green rating. I can easily understand the daunting task McAfee faces in rating the millions and billions of sites on the Internet; yet again, I was expecting a little more.

McAfee is one of the largest computer security corporations in the world, not some part time effort run by someone named Jethro from his log cabin in the Ozarks. Also, I'm merely operating a small personal blog, not hosting the National Archives at my site. I fail to understand the reason for such a delay, when it shouldn't take Site Advisor more than five minutes to check a site they've already checked. This is even more infuriating when I observe some of the most silly and unlikely (even questionable) sites with a green rating, when mine remains gray...due to no fault of my own, but because someone on my BlueHost server blew-out the works. Should I expect this every time a web host goes crazy and may take it into their head that the complete works of the Vatican would look good on his/her site? If this is so, Site Advisor itself is in the gray...not in the black of proficiency but in the red of deficiency and possibly open to corruption.

Sincerely,

Michael
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 12

RE: Still In The Gray

If you are referring to http://electriceggcream.com/ still, then it couldn't be greener than it already is. Maybe you need to uninstall your SiteAdvisor and reinstall as per: http://community.mcafee.com/showthread.php?t=211820
MJTElectrl0
Contributor
Message 6 of 12

What you say, Ex_Brit, is true because my site at http://electriceggcream.com is indeed GREEN. The problem and ensuing misunderstanding were due to my site continuing to read gray through my primary Firefox browser. I hadn't thought to double-check the SA reading with IE7 until you brought this error to my attention. My apologies to everyone for this mistake and much ado about nothing...I'd like my previous post here to be deleted.

Nonetheless, I'd greatly appreciate your help in explaining why the SA plug-in on Firefox (the cause of all of this foolishness) still detects the site as gray. Thank you very much.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 12

It would be best to leave the thread in place as people learn from reading these things.

I just checked your site in Firefox and it is green there too.

That's why I suggested that perhaps you need to uninstall/reinstall. Also make sure that Firefox and any other add-ons you have are all up to date.
MJTElectrl0
Contributor
Message 8 of 12

Will do as you suggest. Thanks again for your help.:)
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 12

It could also be that it is disabled in Firefox, check that too. Sorry, I should have thought of that first.
MJTElectrl0
Contributor
Message 10 of 12

This entire problem lies, almost certainly, with RoboForm and its Firefox configuration at this blog of mine. When I use Robo with IE7 or sign-in manually with Firefox, the Site Advisor plug-in reads green...but not when I use Robo's auto sign-in with Firefox. Roboform doesn't give me any problems but (another kick in the head) at my own website. A mystery:confused: and it's beyond my experience to correct. However, since this is now only a superficial problem, more of curiosity than concern, I could live with it since Site Advisor is working correctly with everyone and everywhere else. Thanks.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community