Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kric
Contributor
Message 1 of 11

Site Advisor Grey "?"

Hi,

McAfee Site Advisor has suddenly turned grey on Google (Internet Explorer), and removed all the individual advisor signs from individual website listings

What is going on please?

Thanks

kr
10 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 11

RE: Site Advisor Grey "?"

Perhaps its server is down. It's usually a temporary situation.
kric
Contributor
Message 3 of 11

thanks ex-Brit,

it's weird - the advisor keeps turning itself off and on - certainly looks like some type of server/tech glitch?

kr
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 11

If it's causing problems disable it for now, but it should return to normal eventually.
kric
Contributor
Message 5 of 11

thanks ;)

many thanks happy
georgieb
Former Member
Message 6 of 11

RE: thanks ;)

I have likewise been experiencing this condition. Last week it was alternating between “grey” & the normal expected displays (green/yellow/red with details; this week it is continuously ‘”grey”). The two relevant add-ons are present & enabled in my browser (IE 6) & no changes made to my PC (add-ons, filters or anything else) to account. Noted another thread on this subject; is there a suspicion of problem at source, i.e. Site Advisor? I acquired SA with Mcafee Security Centre Renewal 2 months ago & no problems until last week. Currently have SA 2.8.292 installed. Any further news? Pls & Tx. GB
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 11

Occasionally server issues will cause this, but also make sure that you don't have any conflicting settings in your browser. SiteAdvisor doesn't like anti-phishing filters or IE's Content Advisor for instance.

Often an uninstall, reboot and reinstall will cure the situation, especially in machines where registry cleaners are used. I personally have long since ditched those things as I found that they remove more than they are supposed to.
YoKenny
Former Member
Message 8 of 11

I don't have a problem with anti-phishing filters enabled.

I don't have Content Advisor enabled.
georgieb
Former Member
Message 9 of 11

No anti-phishing filters & Content Adviser not enabled. Essentially, nothing changed in “my” settings & yet SA appears to be non-operational now. If server issue, still waiting for resolution. As a McAfee subscriber, how would I uninstall & reinstall just the “site advisor” (their web site only offers me download of the suite I have, i.e. Mcafee Virus Scan Plus which includes SA). Must I uninstall/reinstall Mcafee to resolve this ? And why exactly do I need to do this when “nothing” has changed at my end ?. Anybody have any further thoughts. Pls & Tx. GB
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 11

To uninstall just SiteAdvisor select the McAfee Security Center item in Control Panel/Add or Remove Programs (Programs/Uninstall a Program in Vista).
When asked just select SiteAdvisor for uninstall.

Reboot.

Go to your account and select the suite for re-download but use the "Customize" option and select only SiteAdvisor.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community