Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NS_Bob
Contributor
Message 1 of 16

Site Advisor Causes CPU to run at 50% constantly

Jump to solution

Site Advisor Causes CPU to run at 50% constantly and when terminating the process the CPU drops to 1% which is a normal idle.

I have removed it from I.E. and Firefox but when I reboot, this program starts again and hogs the CPU time. How can I totally disable this annoying feature in the McAfee Security System? I have been online for 15 years and feel I do not need to be advised about potentially dangerouse sites.

Thanks, Bob

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 16

Re: Site Advisor Causes CPU to run at 50% constantly

Jump to solution

You have to completely uninstall it as I previously stated.

View solution in original post

15 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 16

Jump to solution

Bob,

It certainly shouldn't be acting that way.  Did you enable Protected Mode or Secure Search perhaps?  Perhaps something is reacting with it, but only Technical Support could answer that by going into your machine to check.

You can uninstall just Siteadvisor through the Control Panel in the normal way.  In the programs list it will either be listed separately in which case just click "Uninstall", or it will be included in the McAfee SecurityCenter item, in which case choose that, then select only Siteadvisor for removal in the subsequent menu.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 12/3/09 7:16 AM
SeanMc98
Contributor III
Message 3 of 16

Jump to solution

NS_Bob wrote:

"I have removed it from I.E. and Firefox but when I reboot, this program  starts again and hogs the CPU time."

Is the process that you terminate "McSACore" ?  Does the CPU "hogging" on re-boot occur before or after you start IE or Firefox ?

How did you remove SiteAdvisor from Firefox ?  Since SiteAdvisor "hooks" into Firefox outside the Mozilla AMO (add-on process) method, a simple "uninstall" of the Firefox extension may not completely remove SiteAdvisor.  (Been there ... prior versions required my editing of the Windows registry.  I am not sure whether this is still the case).

Terminating a running process can cause other problems.  Have you attempted stopping the McAfee SiteAdvisor Service ?  If the service cannot be stopped, then process termination is the only recourse.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 16

Jump to solution

You have to completely uninstall it as I previously stated.

SeanMc98
Contributor III
Message 5 of 16

Jump to solution

It took me a little longer to finish my posting, and I missed your earlier reply.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 16

Jump to solution

No problem Sean.  I'm always getting my wires crossed anyway...LOL.

NS_Bob
Contributor
Message 7 of 16

Jump to solution

Hi,

BTW, I am running Windows 7 Home Premium.

Thanks fo all the replies and yes, I disabled it in I.E. and Firefox and the hogging continues and when I Terminate the McSACore process, my CPU is back to idle however, "the hog"  is back once I reboot.

I have since Uninstalled Site Advisor in "Add or Remove Programs" and will keep McAfee this way until it is determined what is causing this is happening. Obviously there has been an update in McAfee that is causing this behaviour.

Thanks again, Bob

Message was edited by: NS_Bob on 12/3/09 10:27 AM
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 16

Jump to solution

Good luck Bob.

Glenn
Former Member
Message 9 of 16

Jump to solution

Same here. Site Advisor runs my CPU at a constant 25-50%.  The only way I could get it to go back to normal was to disable McSACore.exe in Services.  Since then everything is back to normal.  It started... well I noticed it today.  So what ever updates from lastnight to today are the culprit.  They need to get this fixed.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 16

Jump to solution

Then use their feedback form here:  http://www.siteadvisor.com/userfeedback.html, email them at support@siteadvisor.com  or contact Technical Support Chat by right-clicking your taskbar icon and selecting support or the link at the top of this page.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community