Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 11 of 22

RE: Same Prob

Try uninstalling & reinstalling. If it isn't listed separately in Control Panel/Programs/Uninstall a Program then click the McAfee Security Center item and then select only SiteAdvisor for removal.
It can always be reinstalled later on by using the Customize option from your account or downloaded from the SiteAdvisor site.
kastigar
Former Member
Message 12 of 22

How to disable

Click on:
Tools, then Add-ons, then select McAfee Site Advisor

I just disabled it, I didn't uninstall it. I'm hoping somebody will come up with a fix. happy
corkabias
Former Member
Message 13 of 22

RE: Same Prob

This what I did and it worked:

Go to add remove and select McAfee Security centre
then select siteadvisor alone and remove it.
reboot the machine.
locate and delete any siteadvisor folders.
install siteadvisor from your account or the free one .
sharky
Former Member
Message 14 of 22

site advisor

I'm encountering the same problem, but only with firefox.it becomes a race between shutting the advisor off and closing windows. The same problem is NOT occurring on my IE7.

Since I just had my subscription renewed, it might be easier for me to cancel it and delete Mcafee altogether.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 15 of 22

RE: site advisor

Try disabling your Firefox add-ons one by one to see if one of them is interfering with SA.
vinod_r2
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 16 of 22

RE: site advisor

Please try to uninstall siteadvisor from add/remove ( it will be along with McAfee Security centre do a custom uninstall of SA alone)
then reboot.

locate and delete SA folders.
reboot and install SA alone fresh.

It seems that the updates did not occur as expected on some machines.
electronicChili
Former Member
Message 17 of 22

RE: Same SideAdvisor launch problem

I have been having the same NAGWARE. After, spending several fruitless hours of chat with tech support. The last one, left my friends computer with ALL McAfee products STOPPED in services. It actually worked until we opened a new MSIE window. After,she said told the tech support that she was finally able to go to a web site without the NAGWARE. The tech support person kept asking "issue resolved", with her computer exposed on the internet (all mcAfee products were still stopped). I wanted to perform that "survey".!!!!

Now, what finally resolved the problem.

On the web browser's toolbar: click on the list next to McAfee SiteAdvisor, then click on "Get Latest Version". I had to see that message, only one more time. By the way, McAfee reported ALL my application were up-to-date during this issue.

I had the same version with that date of12/31/1969 (is that pre-DOS?). I also thought that was a strange date. I need to check my history books. Bill Gates was only 14 years old:confused:. I think that was around the time, him and three students were banned from the computer terminals for "exploiting bugs with the operating system"

Well, I hope that my final solution will help.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 18 of 22

RE: Site Advisor Bug

I think a lot of issues are due to the fact that SiteAdvisor Free installer insists on installing the Yahoo Toolbar.

I certainly don't approve of that and have posted a sticky on how to separate SiteAdvisor from that toolbar and then get rid of the toolbar, leaving SiteAdvisor intact.

http://community.mcafee.com/showthread.php?t=228025
WarrenPS
Former Member
Message 19 of 22

Error in Event Viewer

Due to the problem sited in this thread, I decided to uninstall McAfee SiteAdvisor. I did so by going to Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs, and choosing McAfee Security Center. At that point, I was given the option to choose which program to remove. I chose SiteAdvisor and left other programs intact. Subsequent reboots have given me an error in Event Viewer-System-Service Control Manager. The Event ID is 7000 and the explanation given is "The McAfee SiteAdvisor service failed to start due to the following error: The system cannot find the file specified." I have searched the Registry and deleted all keys related to McAfee SiteAdvisor but the error message continues. This is only a minor nuisance since everything else seems to be working but would like to eliminate this message if possible. I am using Windows XP SP 3. Thanks!!!
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 20 of 22

RE: Error in Event Viewer

Obviously Windows didn't uninstall it completely. Enable Windows Firewall temporarily.

1. Uninstall all McAfee programs through "Add or Remove Programs" in Windows "Control Panel".

2. Use the MCPR tool, see this article: How to remove supported McAfee consumer products using the McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool (MC... This will remove all McAfee remnants from your computer. (you must have Windows Vista, XP or 2000 SP4 to use this tool)
3. Launch Windows Explorer and delete all McAfee files in "Program Files" but especially in "C:\Document and Settings\<user>\Application Data" and "C:\Document and Settings\All Users\Application Data". You have to set Windows Explorer to show all hidden files and folders (Tools > Folder Options > View tab). Just delete the McAfee folders even if they are empty in all the "Application Data" folders. Can be more than one!
In Vista: C:\Program Files, C:\ProgramData and C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming
If you don't find any don't worry. It just means that MCPR did a throrough job.

4. Reboot and redownload/reinstall your McAfee products directly from your account at the McAfee web site not from any CD that you may have.
Use the "Customise" option when it is offered, That way you can avoid Siteadvisor.

In any case I have since double-checked this and the installer actually asks at the very end if you want Safe Search with Yahoo, if you don't accept that the Yahoo toolbar isn't installed.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community