Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
corkabias
Former Member
Message 1 of 22

Site Advisor Bug

Hello Everyone,

I am getting a message box whenever I open a new browser page that proclaims that my Site Advisor Software has been updated! The message goes on to explain that several new features have been added for my enhanced protection:

- Enable search box
- Block red sites
- Use Yahoo

There is a button at the bottom of the message that says, "Finish." When I click on finish it causes a new browser page to open with the same Site Advisor message described above. You guessed it, when I click on "Finish" I get another new browser page with the Site Advisor message. Although I haven't tried, I suspect this process would continue until I pass out from exhaustion. The only way I could make it stop was to disable Site Advisor. Anyone have any ideas on how to resolve this issue?

Thanks,

corkabias
21 Replies
daniniowa
Former Member
Message 2 of 22

Same Here

This problem started on 1/4/09. I thought an update would be available to fix the issue by now. Does anyone know if anyone at McAfee ever reads these posts? If not, does anyone have any suggestions on what to do to get their attention? I just installed McAfee, mostly because of Site Advisor. Not impressed so far.
p_edwards
Contributor
Message 3 of 22

Repeated copies of IE

Yes, I've got this pfroblem too (on Vista, not on XP). I've e-mailed McAfee about it but they don't seem to want to reply.

By the way, when trying to contact them via their "Contact us" option on the main website, the e-mail option seems unavailable.

I wonder if anyone at McAfee ever reads these posts?
matrixluke
Contributor
Message 4 of 22

RE: Repeated copies of IE

I'd suggest you to disable site advisor-> and then click on the dropped down window in siteadvisor and then click on search settings and then disable the search settings. Re enable the siteadvisor after doing that...
rdlf1024
Contributor
Message 5 of 22

Same here. It didn't work out.

Yes get rid of the infernal thing and install WOT.
Mcafee jumped the shark with that latest update, it's nothing more than invasive browser hijacking Spyware.
Nowhere does it inform users about the 8MB+ program, startup programs, services and toolbar it installs in another browser!!

Good luck getting rid of it, even if you uninstall Mcafee leave sneaky files all over your computer.

I agree. They turned the back on us and don't want to talk.
SA v.28 is unable to work again on my Firefox 3.0.5.

Thank you mcafee
p_edwards
Contributor
Message 6 of 22

matrixluke - I can't disable siteadvisor as IE puts up the balloon before I can click on sditeadvisor's drop down list!

I deinstalled siteadvisor using control panel - guess what ---- IE still has the siteadvisor boxes there and I still get the problem with it trying to access the website.

So much for uninstall!!!

I've had no problems with McAfee products till now - this is a crock of s**t

Come on, chaps, sort this out - until you do I cannot use IE on this machine and my wife (whose machine it is) is giving me great grief as she uses the internet as part of her job and it's costing us money!

I have no doubt that if I were to uninstall the whole of McAfee I would still have this problem.

I agree - thanks, McAfee. By the way, I did not ask for the Yahoo toolbar to be installed, but it did anyway ... on Vista, not on XP. Weird??
vinod_r2
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 7 of 22

Probably the upgrade did not occur correctly.
Please try these steps for now

Go to add remove and select McAfee Security centre
then select siteadvisor alone and remove it.
reboot the machine.
locate and delete any siteadvisor folders.
install siteadvisor from your account or the free one .
p_edwards
Contributor
Message 8 of 22

matrixluke - thanks. I uninstalled siteadvisor as you suggested. It then asked me to reboot. Selected yes, got a message box "An error condition occurred removing MacAfee siteadvisor ..." but it disappeared before I could read it. However, on reboot, all now seems OK. I am not prepared to reinstall siteadvisor until McAfee recognise that there is a problem with siteadvisor and have publicly published a fix for this. But I am aware that I have paid for this software and expect it to work. Time will tell....
kastigar
Former Member
Message 9 of 22

Same SideAdvisor launch problem

Same problem as everybody else. I'm using Firefox 3 but it happens with any browser. Windows XP, SP3.

The status form says:
SiteAdvisor
Version 2.9
Build 2.9.242
AffId: 0
Language en-us
Last Update 12/31/1969

and that 1969 update looks very strange!

The status advisor never worked anyway - the form was always grey, never green, yellow, or red.

I found I could be it by clicking on the "Finished" button, then as seen as the new display started killing the page BEFORE the message came back again.

But I took the advice of someone here - I just disabled the Site Advisor in Firefox.

Incidentally, this happened right after I renewed my subscription and updated. The previous program seemed to work fine, even with a site advisor.
SevenRed
Former Member
Message 10 of 22

Same Prob

I am having the same problem on a Vista machine, in both IE7 and the latest Firefox. How do I disable it? I tried the "disable Site Advisor" on the icon in the bottom right of the window, but it never seems to change.

Can I uninstall Site Advisor without uninstalling the rest of McAfee?
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community