Did you mean: 
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 11 of 26

Re: Site Advisor 3.7 is crashing Firefox

Jump to solution

I see the Crash Reports okay.

I'll come back and pick this up later - it's Saturday night, I'm going out for a couple of hours.

Nisa51
Contributor III
Message 12 of 26

Jump to solution

Oh thats good Hayton, because it is absolutely totally double dutch to me and have no idea what it all means.

Same here off out for a drink. enjoy Hayton.

Peacekeeper
Message 13 of 26

Jump to solution

I got a similiar crash yesterday but no mention in the crash report in fact nothing since january.

Just updating my 1 crash info

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 1/06/14 4:18:27 PM
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 14 of 26

Jump to solution

There's a lot of information, a lot of detail, but nothing much more to be got out of it.

The three crash reports are practically identical, and notable chiefly for indicating to the Mozilla people that this can't be a Firefox problem (it occurs in HeapFree, which they say means it's a third-party program responsible)

there shouldn't be calls to HeapFree from Mozilla code. This is likely a catch-all bucket for crashes in external code

and the name of the module is definitely one of McAfee's. The module causing the crash is one that has been seen doing the same thing over several years, so there's something in there that's decidedly suspect.

The error code is "EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION_READ" which could be caused by one of several things. There's a (definitely techie-nerdy) Wikipedia article which lists all the possible causes at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Segmentation_fault

I'll keep monitoring the Mozilla thread as well as their bug report in case there are developments. This issue will be raised on the next conference call, but Mozilla are independently trying to contact someone in McAfee to alert them of the problem.

Now the cause has been identified it's up to the SiteAdvisor developers to track it down and fix it, which could take some time. Until then there isn't any workaround : either you put up with Firefox crashing all the time or you disable SiteAdvisor. If you're going to do that the next best site-rating tool is probably WOT (Web of Trust).

Message was edited by: Hayton on 01/06/14 07:00:29 IST
Nisa51
Contributor III
Message 15 of 26

Jump to solution

Thank you Hayton the crash is too bad actually to keep Site advisor enabled.

I have disabled it from yesterday

dougk_t3
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 16 of 26

Jump to solution

This issue was difficult to track  down because it happens only while certain activities are occuring, but  we were finally able to capture the problem while it was happening which  allowed us to identify the problem.  Apologies for the delay.

Starting today, we are pushing a new version which should prevent these crashes - SiteAdvisor 3.7.0.190.

Please  note that because this is being released on a throttled basis, it will  likely take a few days for your system to get this updated version.  As  with all SiteAdvisor updates, a reboot is required for the update to  complete.

Nisa51
Contributor III
Message 17 of 26

Jump to solution

Oh WTG Dougk

Thank you much appreciated and that was actually quick work, I didn't expect a fix so soon. Well Done!!!

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 18 of 26

Jump to solution

Just wanted to report, recieved the New Version/Build - 3.7.0.190 , running Internet Exlorer 11 and all is functioning fine.

Regards,

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
jimmymac50
Former Member
Message 19 of 26

Jump to solution

Hi, when the last update for Site Advisor happened on the 28th May no reboot was required on my machine in fact very rarely does McAfee require me to reboot which in the past was a fairly routine activity and I presumed no reboots recently was due to the advancement in McAfee software?

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 20 of 26

Jump to solution

As is required with Important updates, usually "Rebooting" your machine will complete the installation.

I would think that would be a miniscule requirement. In order to have the new Version/Build fully installed/Operational.

I think that it has been mentioned, that one has to do so.

Please correct me if I am incorrect.....

Regards,

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community