Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nisa51
Contributor III
Message 1 of 26

Site Advisor 3.7 is crashing Firefox

Jump to solution

Version 3.7.0.187 is crashing Firefox. I have been having this problem for a couple of days now. It just booms FF.

the crash reports apparently indicate its Site Advisor.

Any upcoming fixes for this?

Firefox 29.01

Message was edited by: Nisa51 on 5/30/14 3:00:12 PM CDT
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dougk_t3
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 16 of 26

Re: Site Advisor 3.7 is crashing Firefox

Jump to solution

This issue was difficult to track  down because it happens only while certain activities are occuring, but  we were finally able to capture the problem while it was happening which  allowed us to identify the problem.  Apologies for the delay.

Starting today, we are pushing a new version which should prevent these crashes - SiteAdvisor 3.7.0.190.

Please  note that because this is being released on a throttled basis, it will  likely take a few days for your system to get this updated version.  As  with all SiteAdvisor updates, a reboot is required for the update to  complete.

View solution in original post

25 Replies
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 26

Jump to solution

Do you see any error message windows coming up? If so can you grab a screenshot and post it so we can compare it with the errors reported in Chrome. The error there is an 0xC5, Access Violation - probably a memory location overwrite.

See https://community.mcafee.com/message/333017#333017

Nisa51
Contributor III
Message 3 of 26

Jump to solution

I reported this on Firerfox forums with

Crash ID: bp-2abc6e37-7ef3-4c11-9d0b-382e42140529

Crash ID: bp-f7cbcb4f-6675-4d3c-829e-2fd9b2140530

and something that says last crash 1401468835

and was told that and something that says last crash 1401468835 is McAfee Site Advisor

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 26

Jump to solution

Those Crash IDs mean absolutely nothing to me, although they probably do to the Mozilla people. I've never had a SA crash in Firefox, so I don't know what it produces. Is there any kind of error log?

Nisa51
Contributor III
Message 5 of 26

Jump to solution

What I understand what was said to me was SA is causing FF to crash, SA is not crashing itself but causing FF to. I have disabled it for the time being to test.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 26

Jump to solution

I am running Internet Explorer 11/Fully updated. Site Advisor Live 3.7.187 and am experiencing no issues.

Of course this is no comfort to ones whom are, just wanted to acknowledge so far no adverse effects with IE11.

Message was edited by: catdaddy on 5/31/14 9:03:33 AM EDT
Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 7 of 26

Jump to solution

I'll check the Mozilla dev forums to look for any known issues with SiteAdvisor. If anyone knows about it the testers will.

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 8 of 26

Jump to solution

While I go off looking, there's something you can  do. In Firefox Help there's an option for Troubleshooting Information. Click on that, and look down the page a bit. You'll see a link there under 'Crash Reports for the last 3 days' for 'All crash reports'. Click on that and look for anything that ties in with the times when you know or suspect you had a SiteAdvisor-related crash. I'd be interested to see what it says.

Edit : I overlooked this page -

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/Mozilla%20Crash%20Reporter

You can get to the crash reports quickly by entering 'about:crashes' into the Address Bar.

Message was edited by: Hayton on 31/05/14 16:19:12 IST
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 9 of 26

Jump to solution

Yes, there is a SiteAdvisor bug report at Mozilla, filed yesterday and updated today.

The bug report indicates that the crash is caused by an Access Violation, as I've noted elsewhere (an 0xc5 error) and says it's almost all with SA version 3.7.0.187 as far as they know. I'll edit this post later with more information.

Edit : See later post. There's nothing much more to be gleaned from the data available.

Message was edited by: Hayton on 01/06/14 05:59:12 IST
Nisa51
Contributor III
Message 10 of 26

Jump to solution

Wow ty Hayton you are on the ball I looked at about:crashes here are the links, let me know if you cannot see them I am not sure what information you want to see as there is a lot.

https://crash-stats.mozilla.com/report/index/2abc6e37-7ef3-4c11-9d0b-382e42140529

https://crash-stats.mozilla.com/report/index/f7cbcb4f-6675-4d3c-829e-2fd9b2140530

https://crash-stats.mozilla.com/report/index/50741b3d-7bb3-4cd9-9de9-dd7c92140531

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community