cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hake
Former Member
Message 1 of 15

Site Advisor 2.8.255 refuses to conform to the user's positioning on the toolbar

This results in a reduction of the client screen height which is a most unwanted behaviour and probably quite unneccessary.

In Internet Explorer 7, Site Advisor will go where it's told but then refuses to stay there. In Firefox, Site Advisor simply refuses to go anywhere except in a new toolbar.

Either way, the result is a reduction in client screen height which is really not at all useful.

The previous verion of Site Advisor (6261 I think) was compliant with the user's wishes as regards positioning.

:mad:
Labels (1)
Tags (3)
14 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 15

RE: Site Advisor 2.8.255 refuses to conform to the user's positioning on the toolbar

This is the subject of an ongoing discussion and the developers are aware of the issue. I'll add you to the list for our conference call today.

I'm not updated yet to that version so haven't been able to look at it myself.

All I can suggest right now is file a feedback form here: http://www.siteadvisor.com/userfeedback.html and contact Technical Support Chat linked at top left of page or in my signature. If enough people complain they will have to listen.

One user reported that if he uninstalled it from Firefox via Tools/Add-ons and then reinstalled it from http://siteadvisor.com/ it went back to the bottom taskbar where it always has been. But that, I think, probably is only temporary as I feel that the website is still at version 2.6.
hake
Former Member
Message 3 of 15

RE: Site Advisor 2.8.255 refuses to conform to the user's positioning on the toolbar

Thanks for your consideration, Ex_Brit. Quite simply, it would be nice if Site Advisor retained its previous (version 6261) behaviour with respect to toolbar position. It seems odd that the developers saw fit to change positioning behaviour since the client area is valuable real estate in any web browser.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 15

Exactly. I just uninstalled mine and reinstalled from the website. Unfortunately I'm still at 2.6 so have to go on what you guys are telling me.

The call is in 30 minutes so I will bring it up, I promise.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 15

I've just been told that occupying its own toolbar is by design....I've voiced my own extreme displeasure with that revelation. Don't worry, we are on your side. The more people who complain using the form the better.

The above is a repeat of what I said on the other thread too. They are aware that this feature may not be too popular and will be open to suggestions obviously.
hake
Former Member
Message 6 of 15

Hi Ex_Brit. Thanks for pursuing this matter. If every piece of browser add-on software demanded its own toolbar, there would be little client area left to use.

Perhaps these chaps have shares in display screen manufacturers and are trying to encourage people to buy larger screens. 😉

I am inclined to revert to version 6261 until the developers relent. I am unaware of issues that would make it undesirable to use version 2.8.255.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 15

Reverting would probably be futile as it would update anyway. Don't worry we will complain until they listen.
hake
Former Member
Message 8 of 15

Well, I've uninstalled the unpopular new version 2.8.255 and reinstalled 6261. So far, the new version has not reared its ugly head and 6261 runs just great. I have my full client area back again. Oh bliss!

As long as a new version has the excellent behaviour of 6261, I will be happy.

happy
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 15

For those of you who still have the 2.8 build, I just want to ensure you that the SA team is actively looking into it.

I just received a message from them which may fix the issue in IE at least....

Allow me to introduce myself. I am the development lead for SiteAdvisor. I have been made aware of the threads regarding the toolbar placement of the new version of SA. I have escalated these threads to management.

As a work around for the problem with placement of the SA toolbar, you can suggest to users to place the SA button to the left of other toolbars instead of to the right. I have attached an example below. (click the thumbnail below)

I cannot make any promises but I can assure you engineering is looking into this issue.

jamiesandhillcr
Former Member
Message 10 of 15

roll-back to previous version

Hi,
Where can I get the older version? When I started my Firefox web browser this morning, and saw the new toolbar, which was hogging so much screen space, might immediate response was to uninstall it, and install a aa-on/plug-in from someone else's service, but I decided to check here first to see what possible resolution to this problem would be.
I have tried to move the toolbar to another position, and it is locked in place. I can't move it up, down, left or right.
Thanks.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community