cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
oichi
Former Member
Message 1 of 3

Site Adviser not working anymore

Hello . I've had Mcaffe guardian over my every move since my win 8 became my main comp . One of the best

features i thought , was the Mcafee Site adviser . Unfortunately , About 2 days ago , It vanished with some traces .

I looked in my extensions ( Because i use google chrome ) and it was enabled ...but not working . Ignoring it ,

thinking it was a glitch , i waited . This is no glitch it seems . Mcafee site adviser ... is really gone . I don't even

use IE or firefox . I've had some terrible past memories with IE ... hence is why i never use it . Anyways , Firefox

always crashes so forget it >< . I was wondering what the matter here was ? Should i just reintall it ? Btw its

installed WITH mcafee , Not separate.

2 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 3

Re: Site Adviser not working anymore

Hi Oichi,

A note:  even if you never use other browsers, please always make sure that they are up to date for security reasons because other processes may use them, for instance McAfee uses IE for display and communication purposes.

1. Make sure Chrome is the latest version. 

2. Try removing it in Chrome Extensions then go to http://www.siteadvisor.com/ and reinstall.

3.  If the above don't work try uninstall ALL McAfee via Control Panel > Programs and Features, then run the MCPR cleanup tool, reboot and reinstall from your online account (if you use other McAfee software too) or the above URL (if you only use SiteAdvisor.

If all that fails Technical Support is free of charge by phone or online chat and linked via Useful Links at the top of this page.

Good luck 😉

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 3 of 3

Re: Site Adviser not working anymore

@oichi,

Do you mean you see SiteAdvisor in the list of Chrome extensions but there is no shield icon in the address bar (where Chrome displays it)?

Or has it vanished from the Chrome extensions list?

If it isn't in the address bar but it is in the extensions list then this is another case of what I see frequently, which is a delayed SiteAdvisor activation. In Chrome SiteAdvisor is controlled by a process called mcChHost.exe - look for that in the list of running tasks and if it's there, SiteAdvisor is running but inactive. Something causes it to fail its startup procedure until someting else happens to trigger startup completion.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community