cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Marathon
Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Same site red and green?

I did a search on "myLife.com" using Google.

One result was "mylife.com" and rated red.

Another result was "www.mylife.com" and rated green.

How can the same site have two conflicting ratings?

I would think that the version with "www" and without are different pages within the same site. Pages within one site should have the same rating, shouldn't they?
8 Replies
Marathon
Contributor
Message 2 of 9

same site red and green; additional info.

One other complication: MyLife.com is a new version of Reunion.com. Going to Reunion.com redirects to MyLife.com. Reunion.com is rated red; Mylife.com is rated either red or green, depending on whether or not the 'www' is present.

SiteAdvisor is apparently aware of the association between MyLife.com (no 'www') and Reunion.com. When clicking on the rating icon to get a site report for "MyLife.com", SiteAdvisor shows the report for "Reunion.com". It is this association that triggers the "red" rating, since Reunion.com has a red rating.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 9

RE: same site red and green; additional info.

I haven't been able to reproduce your findings. When I Google for mylife.com the nearest I get is www.mylife.com, nowhere can I see plain mylife.com.

Perhaps you should ask SiteAdvisor directly using their feedback form. They do answer eventually.
http://www.siteadvisor.com/userfeedback.html
Marathon
Contributor
Message 4 of 9

After seeing your reply, I tried it again and got the same results you did. Then, I used Google to search for "people reunion". The top result was "www.reunion.com", which had a red rating. One of the sponsored results was "reunion.com" (no "www") which had a green rating. However, clicking to get a site report for "reunion.com" gives a site report for "dpbolvw.net", while the clicking for the site report for "www.reunion.com" does give the report for "reunion.com".
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 9

Well on the second one I got a browser error then a Google Toolbar malfunction, so I suspect that Google has a problem rather than McAfee.
Marathon
Contributor
Message 6 of 9

I normally use Mozilla Firefox / Linux. After seeing your reply, I tried Windows 2000, using both Internet Explorer and Firefox. In all cases, using www.Google.com (not the tool bar), I got results consistent with what I described earlier. I used the Google tool bar a little and, except for Internet Explorer, got consistent results. When I typed "myLife.com" in the I.E. tool bar, it took me directly to that site -- no search results.

When I earlier got results consistent with your first attempt on "myLife.com", I did not get a sponsored result for that website. When I do get both red and green SiteAdvisor ratings on the same search, one of them is a sponsored result.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 9

There isn't much we can do about it here. Use the feedback form to let them know.
Marathon
Contributor
Message 8 of 9

RE: Same site red and green?

It may be the problem is, at least in part, with the search engine. Some of the sponsored results are set up so that the sponsored site redirects to another site. And, it is the redirecting site that is red. For a hypothetical example, If I Google "xyz.com", a sponsored result might be a page at "pdq.com" that has a link to "xyz.com", showing up in the search result as "xyz.com". When I click on the link, it actually takes me to "pdq.com", which quickly redirects to "xyz.com". (So quickly, that I might not have noticed that I was at "pdq.com".)

Apparently, some of the sponsors are trying to misuse the search engine to increase the number of visits to their sites.

So, in these cases, SiteAdvisor is properly detecting that the search result takes me through a "red" site even though the search result makes it look like it is for "green" site.

McAffee is working on it.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 9

RE: Same site red and green?

Good explanation Marathon.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community