Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Satchman
Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Safe Search Slow Down In Firefox/IE7

Greetings McAfee Forums!

First time poster. I am having the same issues with slow searching using the Site Advisor plug-in (Version 2.9.258) on BOTH the latest versions of Firefox (3.0.7) and IE 7. I run Windows XP (SP-3) all critical updates are installed.

What is happening is that with this version of Site Advisor, in searching, it takes about 5-8 seconds of delay time in both browsers before I can even scroll on the search results page. This delay time is in waiting for the colored ratings to fill in. With previous versions of Site Advisor, the search results and browsing were almost instantaneous. I am thinking that because BOTH IE 7 and Firefox 3.0.7 are affected by this that it is a Site Advisor problem. Disabling Site Advisor puts searches and results back at normal speed.

I uninstalled Site Advisor and reinstalled Site Advisor. This did not solve the problem. Maybe there is slow server time between the data sent by Site Advisor and the ratings results page. This just started happening today. Monthly critical Windows Updates were released on Tuesday night into Wednesday morning. I have Automatic Update turned on and installed those updates on Friday.

A tip if you uninstall Site Advisor: This is true with all versions of the plug in that I have used for the last two years. WAIT after you click the uninstall prompt in your Add/Remove programs in the Control Panel. Don't close out till you get the confirmation of uninstall, which can take about 30 seconds. If you don't, Windows may crash as the Survey page opens up in your default browser. This is one element of the plug in I DON'T like. Survey responses should not be integrated with the uninstall. They should be made available on a separate home page, AFTER you are sure the plug in has been removed OK. I do however like the content of the feedback form, but it should not be a part of the uninstall process in order to have to use it.

However, this latest issue aside, this is a WONDERFUL plug in and I cannot see how one could even have a computer without it!

Jack
5 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 6

RE: Safe Search Slow Down In Firefox/IE7

Thanks for the observations and suggestions, I'll pass it on. I'm debating whether or not this really should be in its own thread. I use Firefox and SiteAdvisor Plus but I do not have Safe Search turned on or the highlighting. Have you tried turning the latter off to see if it makes a difference?
Satchman
Contributor
Message 3 of 6

No, I have not deactivated Safe Search, but I do have an update on the issue. I went back and redid specific searches that caused the slow downs and it seems that the pages that show Sponsored Results are slowing things down by a few seconds. Pages without Sponsored Results are almost at normal speed.

How often does McAfee update the Site Advisor versions? We only seem to know when new versions are added by checking (Help/About) or if new features are introduced when the browser is opened for the first time.

Jack
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 6

I don't know how often SiteAdvisor updates, all I know is it does it silently (in the background without any warning). I meant did you try unchecking Highlight Results to see if that made a difference. I've moved this to its own topic as it is slightly different to that of the previous thread.
In any case I will pass this on.

You might want to use their feedback form too, linked in my signature. Don't pick the General Product Support Option though as that leads you elsewhere.

There is no product update page so nobody can tell what changes have been introduced from one edition to the next.

There is their blog which may give some clues: http://blog.siteadvisor.com/
Sorry, forgot about that.
Satchman
Contributor
Message 5 of 6

Thanks for the info! That blog is interesting stuff! FYI Highlight Search Results is unchecked and always has been for me. It seems to be those Sponsored Links that are causing the slowdown. However, SA seems to be working better today than yesterday.

Jack
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 6

I've passed this on for comment, whether or not it helps is another matter of course.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community