cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lorac30
Contributor
Message 1 of 38

SA causing low memory error w/ OE (??)

There's been some "talk" lately over the Internet, amongst quite a lot of people who are experiencing "Low disk space/Out of memory" errors when using OE. The error can appear sporadically throughout the day, or user's can sometimes go an entire day w/o experiencing the problem. The former most often being the case. I happen to be one those with the problem and posted shortly after it began. The issue started for most around the first week in September. With various combinations of things tried, no one has really come up with anything conclusive thus far. There have been a lot of theories. :rolleyes: A lot of things tried.

Within the past few days, some have tried uninstalling SiteAdvisor. Those same "sufferers" say it has solved their problem, after experimenting for over two months. I can't say for sure it truly has, since I don't know if enough time has passed. I also don't know which version each and everyone is using. I suspect it's a mixture.

I guess more than anything else, I'm partly "putting it out there". Partly as an "FYI". And partly out of curiosity to see if anyone else has reported anything similar. While I continue to remain skeptical, I can't help but question it. My latest install log reflects the exact same day the problem began for me. Apparently, others are finding much the same thing. I really don't know what to make of it. :confused:

Thank you for taking the time to read this. Any input would be greatly appreciated..
Carol
37 Replies
Lorac30
Contributor
Message 2 of 38

RE: SA causing low memory error w/ OE (??)

Some additional information, IF the above does turn out to be the case:

'In early September 2007, concurrent with SiteAdvisor build 2.5, we changed the privacy policy for SiteAdvisor participants in our optional Product Improvement Program (PIP). As you may know, the PIP allows us to keep anonymous statistics on how our software is performing so we are better able to improve it.

Here's what's changed: Under the new privacy policy, we can now share these anonymous statistics with partners. Examples of these statistics would be the number of active SiteAdvisor users in a day, or the number of times users 'mouse over' SiteAdvisor's safe search ratings'

http://blog.siteadvisor.com/2007/09/

Please note: Up to this point, I am NOT saying Site Advisor is involved, only that it "seems" to be about the same time frame all the strange behavior w/ OE began. I continue to remain skeptical, as to it being the cause, untilproven otherwise.

Carol
Lorac30
Contributor
Message 3 of 38

Updated information:

On the flip side, to those who feel SiteAdvisor is the cause of the problem and chose to uninstall it, there also those of us who have chosen not to uninstall SiteAdvisor Free. Enabling "Read all messages in Plain Text" also appears to alleviate the problem. (By opening OE>Tools>Options>Read Tab. Then putting a checkmark in "Read all messages in Plain Text". Apply. OK.) I have opted to keep the free SiteAdvisor standalone and enable the above option, since I feel it to be a useful and valuable tool. I wish to keep it, as long as the above conintues to work for me.

Should anyone wish to read the entire discussion regarding this issue, it can be found at the following:
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general/browse_frm/thread/1580bf939a9...

I hadn't planned on making this "a thread of my own", but thought in light of these recent findings, it is important to add.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 38

Carol,

Thanks for posting. You aren't being ignored. I already flagged your thread for the powers that be yesterday, but so far no-one's cage has been rattled.
They would need to know what operating system and service pack, what version of OE and SiteAdvisor is involved.
Lorac30
Contributor
Message 5 of 38

Peter..

I know I wasn't being ignored. If I had been, it would have been the first time. At this point in time, I can't accurately give you the information you requested. As best as I can tell, it's mostly those using Outlook Express 6 running in WinXP SP2. I believe a few may have reported XP Pro. Nor can I report with complete certainty, which versions of SiteAdvisor are involved. I have my suspicions, but that's all they are. I will do my best to try to get more specific information, as soon as I find a way of going about it.

I shall get back to you after getting in touch with, the MVP most involved in the thread. You might be interested in reading his "Conclusions as of 20 Nov-07" in post #219, if you hadn't seen it already.

I've hesitated bringing any attention to this thread, until I felt there was more conclusive evidence. I wanted to avoid unnecessary finger-pointing, if I could help it. (Some probably at you, thinking you work for McAfee. :rolleyes:) I'm surprised no one has found it yet. That said, after reading some of today's posts at the ng's, I wouldn't be surprised if you wind up getting a flood of them. Unless they've decided to rattle McAfee's cage directly. Time will tell.

Thank you for bringing attention to this matter..
Carol
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 38

The Developers welcome positive & constructive input. It's the people that arrive here screaming that don't help them get to the bottom of any problems.
This may not get the attention it deserves until next Monday. when they have a conference call where our input is considered.
Lorac30
Contributor
Message 7 of 38

Thanks, Peter. You might get a few screamers, but I hope the majority will give positive feedback. I trust they will.

An added note and only my opinion. I've been involved in many threads, in different forums outside of the newsgroups, where people have complained of the same "situation" with OE. While I've encouraged them to post in the ng thread, most have not. I'm of the opinion, the problem with OE may be more widespread then one would think. If/when McAfee looks into SiteAdvisor's possible involvement, I think it's important they take it into consideration. FWIW.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 38

Thanks.
mlempert
Contributor
Message 9 of 38

I'm of the opinion that McAfee should welcome all forms of feedback regardless of tone. All feedback is a result of experience with their product and should be taken seriously. Carol is very tactful and objective. She also isn't one to jump to conclusions, which is a good characteristic for a technical trouble shooter, however, I'm not like that. I have a strong opinion of what is going on and what needs to be done. I'm also lacking confidence at this time in McAfee's ability to recognize problems and take action. I hope from this point on they might react in a way that users can see and appreciate. Carol, myself, and others have posted here about this problem two months ago with no acknowledgment from McAfee. At a very minimum, they should have acknowledged that customers were having problems that needed to be investigated. Additionally, given the timing of the arrival of the problem one might think that McAfee would make the connection to their automatic installation of SiteAdvisor that occurred coincident with that date period. This shouldn't have gotten to the point where customers had to isolate and define the problem; that's inexcusable.

Unlike Carol, I'm convinced that SiteAdvisor introduced the problem to my Outlook Express. I don't even care if Outlook Express isn't handling something correctly, it was there first and SiteAdvisor has instigated the problem.

I have uninstalled SiteAdvisor and have no more symptoms or occurrences of the problem. Fortunately, there is a measurable indicator of the existence of the problem. In Task Manager you can and should monitor Handle Count. I have no idea what that is, but its behavior changes when SiteAdvisor is installed. The handle count in a normal environment will increase minimally with email activity - and in fact will even decrease at times. In my case it stays relatively low; in the 500 range. With SiteAdvisor active it increases considerably with any email activity. The handle count increases not only with the opening of an email, but will continue to rise in direct sync with scrolling through the message. This is particularly evident in emails that have numerous imbedded email addresses and web links. The count is cumulative and when it reaches 18,000 (on my machine) the problem occurs.

Monitoring the handle count is key to recognizing whether or not the problem exists on any given system. This is a simple test and forcing the 18,000 threshold is simple enough, even if it takes a little time. Do the test and fix the problem. But if this can't be fixed immediately, McAfee should consider removing SiteAdvisor from affected systems until it can be resolved.

I am expecting that McAfee will be given this feedback. If I am mistaken, someone please let me know, and also let me know where I can report the problem and my dissatisfaction directly. I will not report to a help desk as they are all basically the same and I'll just get a canned reply. I am not opposed to ringing phones in the executive halls at McAfee if I need to in order to get attention to this problem. I'll know it's getting attention when I see some form, any form, of recognition from McAfee. A thoughtful reply to me (from McAfee) would be too much to expect. And yes, they will lose my business when my current subscription expires.

Mike Lempert
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 38

I've already alerted the Forum Administrator who can then pass it on to the appropriate department.

Short of contacting McAfee head office, the only avenue other than this forum is the paid phone support, or the free Chat or Email routes via Technical Support linked at the top of the page. At least with the Chat option one can ask for the issue to be escalated.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community