cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
larrymcg
Contributor
Message 1 of 4

SA 2.9.242 - Makes firefox status bar bigger

I have been using SA for a long time on firefox. Yesterday it updated to v 2.9.242. It seems to be working, but it makes me mad!

It installed SA on IE7. I don't think I asked for that. When did it become OK to install stuff I didn't ask for? Sure, an evil site might do that, but McAfee?

It makes the status bar on firefox (v3.0.5) a bit taller. That's definitely not friendly. It's taller even after disabling the secure search box.

It shows up on IE7 as a separate tool bar up above the tabs. That definitely takes up too much room.

Where does McAfee get the idea it can do these things??

I'm going to go look for a substitute that is better behaved.

--Larry
3 Replies
lordpake
Former Member
Message 2 of 4

RE: SA 2.9.242 - Makes firefox status bar bigger

You are not the only one disappointed here.

I too was a SiteAdvisor user, namely Firefox plugin user, until yesterday when I allowed it to update, after which I found out it had installed more than I had asked for w/o asking for permission. (Later I found out it had broken IE7 apparently.)

It seems the days of standalone Firefox plugin are over, as the current installer available installs this new monster (IE/Firefox plugins + System service), user has no choice any more.

You should give WOT a try happy Devs are responsive there and their plugin is just plugin. Staff there participates actively in the forums, which is a nice bonus.
supermariokart
Former Member
Message 3 of 4

An older version is still available

If you download from the second post on http://community.mcafee.com/showthread.php?t=220931&page=3, you will have a normal status bar again with siteadvisor still functional.

For complete instructions see my post (the second one) at http://community.mcafee.com/showthread.php?t=226473.
JeffPeterson
Former Member
Message 4 of 4

RE: SA 2.9.242 - Makes firefox status bar bigger

Wow, just upgraded Site Advisor to the version in question - and just as quickly removed it.

Thanks for the heads-up about the service it adds to the system. Funny I didn't notice that. Maybe it's because it wasn't mentioned in the install! This is appalling behavior from a so-called anti-virus company. Since when does installing a firefox add-on mean automatically adding a service to your machine and an add-on to IE as well? *cough* *cough* Drive-by download *cough* *cough*.

I've used SiteAdvisor since before it was bought by McAfee, but I don't trust it anymore. Why would I rely on site ratings from a company that is this fast and loose with their own site? Pass.

As suggested in this thread, I installed WOT instead. Strangely enough, they only installed an add-on into my Firefox. Not IE. No magically appearing services on my system.

Goodbye SiteAdvisor, it's been fun. Thankfully, I don't rely on McAfee for my virus or antispyware protection.

:mad::mad::mad::mad:
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community