cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
maka
Contributor
Message 11 of 26

Re: S.A. still gray.

Matt, I have only entered one site on the trusted sites menu and have had no problems so far except when I opened Crome at the same time which seem to interfer with MSA working on both until I closed Chrome, Very strange this issue but it makes one thing clear to me and that is this is a MSA bug not Browser or Virus protection otherwise why did it start working only after taking the approach I have suggested. FYI I was given a free subscription as part of a package deal with my Internet Provider and I had so many problems with McAfee Security Suit that I uninstalled it permantly an I now use Avast free addition and Comodo, I have used this combo for years now and have never had a problem with them, Viruses unfortunatly got through the Firewall but they weren't able to execute and were permantly removed, I also use Spybot Search and Destroy but I don't use the Residant module as I understand too many AV's can slow things down or attack each other so I only use this to block know infected websites (immunize) . As for the online support  McAfee give it's a joke, They advice they gave me I knew to be incorrect as I'm somewhat knowledgable in regards to Computers but I followed due to there insistance and ended up spending hours reentering lost passwords bookmarks etc etc.

Message was edited by: maka on 7/16/13 4:47:57 AM CDT
maka
Contributor
Message 12 of 26

Matt , I should have also mentioned if your using Firefox do the following

step 1

clck Tools

click Options

click security

click exceptions

enter "https://www.siteadvisor.com"

click allow

click close

step 2 (not sure if you have to do this step I already done it before testing)

click Tools

click Options

click Content

click exceptions under the pop up blocker section

enter "https://www.siteadvisor.com

click allow

click close

mattlucky
Former Member
Message 13 of 26

I'm sorry to say, but it does not work for me.

I will switch to other virus software that works.  

Thanks for your input, maka! 

Matt.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 14 of 26

Well that's your option of course, but if it were my machine I would want to know why SA is showing gray all the time and the best way to troubleshoot that would be to escalate the issue through Technical Support.    I suspect there is some 3rd party software - possibly an add-on in your browser or something about your internet connection that is causing it or even non-default browser settings could be the cause.

SiteAdvisor isn't the only browser add-on of it's kind and if one doesn't work properly then maybe others wont either.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 20/07/13 10:21:43 EDT AM
mattlucky
Former Member
Message 15 of 26

With all respect Ex_Brit, but if SA does not work like it should I believe SA is to blame and not some 3rd party sotfware.

In fact every software that is not genuine Windows is 3rd party, so SA also is 3rd party.

Matt.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 16 of 26

We would be swamped here if it was a widespread issue and we aren't, but if you would prefer to move on then that's your prerogative.  I just thought it might help to find out exactly why it's happening.    

Wikipedia defines 3rd party as "software which can be used in conjunction with some software or hardware but is not associated with either the manufacturer or the user".

Good luck.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 17 of 26

OK since Saturday or so I too am getting gray icons, yet when I click the icon I get the regular green (or yellow or red) site report.  This is I assume server problems at SA's end and I have reported it directly to them.

The following popup appears, but is too brief to click options shown thereon.  Anyone else?

(I just managed to catch this example by hitting my PrtScn key as it was disappearing).

Capture.JPG

I've disabled my SA for now until it's sorted out because it causes page load delays.   Anyone else experiencing this i suggest using a backup such as WoT (Web of Trust) until it's sorted out.

This is in Firefox 22 & IE10 by the way.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 22/07/13 9:59:14 EDT AM
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 18 of 26

Now it seems to have been fixed.

maka
Contributor
Message 19 of 26

I thought I had this one figured out but then the problem came back and this time the only way to fix it is very odd, I have to open IE (Which I don't like at all) and click on the MSA icon and that's it it works again, Then I go back to firefox refresh the page and it's working there aswell, Very clearly a MSA fault.

mattlucky
Former Member
Message 20 of 26

Sure maka, it is a SA fault. It's a connection fault.

In the other discussion https://community.mcafee.com/thread/52286?start=0&tstart=0 , that unfortunately has been closed, I told about my work around:

Do not turn off your internet connection when you shut down your pc. The next time you start up your pc the connection tot the internet is made during booting, after booting SA will work and the icon will be green.

Of course this only is a work around and not a solution. I will use it until I find a good alternative for McAfee.

Regards,

Matt.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community