Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rhermiz
Former Member
Message 1 of 6

Request for Explanation of "BROWSER EXPLOIT" and request for re-eval

Jump to solution

When our users try to get to car.com, they get the big red scary screen that says something to this effect: stop, this website will ruin your life and steel all your money. Yet, this rating we see here doesn't reflect what the user sees.

We've been informed about the error message about a month ago and tried to contact the site advisor team. But there have been no response for weeks. Can someone, please, explain to me what is the browser exploit we are using, so we can correct it. If we are actually doing that. I reviewed our client-side code and couldn't find any weird cookie manipulations. How do I get more info? Or get McAfee to re-evaluate my website? I already have 2 open ticket and tried to talk to customer sevice several times to no avail.

Re: [Ticket ID #JDT-43911-261] Website erroneously blocked  - Tue 4/19/2011 11:42 AM
Re: [Ticket ID #SLV-19245-359] Please retest car.com - Tue 5/10/2011 3:54 PM

car.com

Green Verdict Image

We tested this site and didn't find any significant problems.

Are you the owner of this site? Leave a comment

Contact information:
CountryPopularity

United States

Lots of users

AUTOMATED WEB SAFETY TESTING RESULTS FOR CAR.COM

BROWSER EXPLOIT:

Breached browser security

When we browsed this site, it made unauthorized changes to our test PC.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
x-pmeyer
Former Member
Message 5 of 6

Re: Request for Explanation of "BROWSER EXPLOIT" and request for re-eval

Jump to solution

Hello Rhermiz,

I followed up with Site Advisor support. The Site Advisor exploit warning should be removed within the next hours.

Best regards,

Peter

View solution in original post

5 Replies
rhermiz
Former Member
Message 2 of 6

Jump to solution

Update:

McAfee responded to my most recent ticket, I guess the first one was lost into oblivion. They think that since my site is rated "Green" I should be happy.

And still no details about the "Browser Exploit". We have to know what we're doing wrong because the average user of the  site advisor client would not know what the detail means. I mean the warning screen is pretty scary if you ask me...

From: McAfee SiteAdvisor Support[mailto:support@siteadvisor.com]

Sent: Tuesday, May 10, 2011 6:03 PM

To: Rod Hermiz

Subject: Re: [Ticket ID #SLV-19245-359] Please retestcar.com

Hello Rod,

I am very glad to inform you that your site (www.car.com) has been rated Green by McAfeeSiteAdvisor.

Please click on the link below for more information

http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/car.com

We appreciate your patience during this process.

Sincerely,

Vengadavan

Avert Services

McAfee SiteAdvisor

Message was edited by: rhermiz on 5/10/11 5:19:58 PM CDT
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Jump to solution

I see the problem. The site has a green rating but there's a blocking page that says Don't Go There. I also note the Browser Exploit warning. There's been a spate of these recently and I'm wondering if there's some temporary  website poisoning going on - something injected into a web page (which would, if malicious, quickly be flagged by SiteAdvisor). Problem there is, you say you've checked the client-side code and found nothing. Could it be in third-party content? Advertisements? It's not only your site that's been affected, and malware in advertisements has been talked about a lot recently.

If you're sure that that's not applicable to your site I think you'll have to hope that someone from SiteAdvisor gets to see this tomorrow and follows it up. Sorry I can't offer any more help.

Message was edited by: Hayton on 11/05/11 05:35:00 IST
rhermiz
Former Member
Message 4 of 6

Jump to solution

Thanks for yor attempt. We use the same third party advertisements at autobytel.com, myride.com and other domain names and none of those websites have a "browser exploit" warning.  Which makes isolating the culprit advertiser impossible... I hope that the site advisor team can give me specifics, otherwise I'm at a total loss.

Message was edited by: rhermiz on 5/11/11 3:51:40 AM CDT
x-pmeyer
Former Member
Message 5 of 6

Jump to solution

Hello Rhermiz,

I followed up with Site Advisor support. The Site Advisor exploit warning should be removed within the next hours.

Best regards,

Peter

rhermiz
Former Member
Message 6 of 6

Jump to solution

Thank you, Peter. Much appreciated

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community