cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CWH803
Former Member
Message 1 of 3

Removing SiteAdvisor also needs this Tool

Removal of the (in my case Free) McAfee SiteAdvisor requires more than "Add/Remove Programs" in my XP SP3 Home environment. KAV would not install until I ran this tool, which suggests there are remnants after A/R Programs is used.

The following from Service McAfee FAQ document:

Step 1 - Uninstall your McAfee consumer products using Add/Remove Programs in the Windows Control Panel

Windows 2000/XP
1. Click Start, Settings, Control Panel.
2. Double-click Add or Remove Programs.
3. Select the McAfee SecurityCenter product.
4. Click Remove and follow the steps provided.

Windows Vista
1. Click Start, Search, type Programs and Features, and click Go.
2. Double-click Programs and Features.
3. Select the McAfee SecurityCenter product.
4. Click Uninstall and follow the steps provided.

Step 2 - Download and run MCPR.exe
1. Download the removal tool from:

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe

2. Click Save and save the file to a folder on your computer.
3. Navigate to the folder where the file was saved.
4. Make sure all McAfee windows are closed.
5. Double-click MCPR.exe to run the removal tool.

Note: Windows Vista users must right-click MCPR.exe and select Run as Administrator.
6. Restart your computer after receiving the message CleanUp Successful.

Your McAfee product will not be fully removed until the system is restarted.
If the message Cleanup Unsuccessful is displayed, follow the steps below to view and save your MCPR log files for analysis by Technical Support.

Saving troubleshooting logs
1. On the Cleanup Unsuccessful notification dialog, click View Logs.
2 Replies
lordpake
Former Member
Message 2 of 3

RE: Removing SiteAdvisor also needs this Tool

Question: did you run the Kaspersky GSI parser tool? Did it find anything?

Because I have KIS installed and to be on the safe side I did run that tool and web analysis does not report any conflicting software. So here I am, thinking normal uninstallation worked for me.

I'd hate to be forced to remove KIS, run that removal tool and re-install KIS ... I already reinstalled IE.
CWH803
Former Member
Message 3 of 3

RE: Removing SiteAdvisor also needs this Tool

Lordpake asked, in regard to Kaspersky products requiring the uninstall of other publishers’ selected anti-malware software, “Did you run the Kaspersky GSI parser tool? Did it find anything?

I did not use the Kaspersky GSI tool. The install engine for Kaspersky Anti-Virus (not KIS) 8.0.0.506 detected and demanded the uninstall of ZoneAlarm Pro, McAfee SiteAdvisor, SpyBot Search & Destroy, and Windows Defender in my XP SP3 Home environment with Internet Explorer 7.

In the case of the Free McAfee SiteAdvisor, using Add/Remove Programs was insufficient according to the KAV installer. Hence the McAfee Removal tool described above.

Re-installed latest versions in controlled intervals of: 1) McAfee SiteAdvisor, 2) ZoneAlarm Pro 8.0.059.000 with disabled E-mail, Identity Protection, and Spyware scanners and with SmartDefense set to Manual, 3) SpyBot Search & Destroy with Teatimer and SDHelper enabled, and 4) Windows Defender with Real-timer protection disabled.

Multiple Anti-malware software co-existence is a significant management problem I find, particularly for “hooked software” such as KAV and ZAP, requiring rigid install order and careful selection of non-conflicting of functions.

That is-- Proscribed order of install: remove A to install B and then reinstall A. Unable to run together: If A then never B.null Selection of non-conflicting functions: If KAV Web Traffic protection, then ZAP Privacy defeated. Both have Email protection functions: choose none or just one.

The average home user may be better off with a Suite to avoid these problems. And to beat again the "No automatic upgrades, please" drum-- McAfee SiteAdvisor, Stop doing that!
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community