cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
deivimore
Contributor II
Message 1 of 4

Redirected by default to Yahoo Search page when i make Mc Afee WebAdvisor as active PUP

PUP stands for Potentially Unwanted Program, and programs that fall under this moniker are slightly different than malware.

From a technical standpoint, a PUP is not malware.  PUPs are not created with the intent to destroy your computer or steal your personal information.  Rather, PUPs are usually just marketing tools that find their way onto people’s computers through a bit of social engineering.

In the past, PUPs were referred to as spyware and ad-ware, but many of the companies that create these programs didn’t like these terms.  They found them counterproductive, as they associated their programs with malware and scared people away.  As such, there now exists a fine legal line between what constitutes a PUP and what constitutes malware, and anyone in the business of labeling programs must be cautious about which term they use.

MCFEEE NON RENOVARED EVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!MCFEEE NON RENOVARED EVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!MCFEEE NON RENOVARED EVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!MCFEEE NON RENOVARED EVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!MCFEEE NON RENOVARED EVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!MCFEEE NON RENOVARED EVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!MCFEEE NON RENOVARED EVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!MCFEEE NON RENOVARED EVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!MCFEEE NON RENOVARED EVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!MCFEEE NON RENOVARED EVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Labels (2)
Tags (1)
3 Replies
deivimore
Contributor II
Message 2 of 4

Re: Redirected by default to Yahoo Search page when i make Mc Afee WebAdvisor as active PUP

BEWARE MACFEE INTALLS A PUP, THAT MAKE YOU PRINCIPAL SEARCH ENGINE : YAHOO

selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 3 of 4

Re: Redirected by default to Yahoo Search page when i make Mc Afee WebAdvisor as active PUP

Hi

McAfee has turned ON SecureSearch for safe browsing on the Internet. You can always revert to the search engine of your choice.

See https://service.mcafee.com/webcenter/portal/cp/home/articleview?locale=en-US&articleId=TS102755

Kit22
Contributor II
Message 4 of 4

This is not true.

As of this writing, I have removed Yahoo! from my Chrome search engines entirely, removed WebAdvisor, turned off Web Protection, and rebooted my computer.

And yet Yahoo! search still comes up if I search for drivers for my external drive (which is how I found out about this in the first place). 

Obviously something didn't get removed when I followed the solution.

Something about the uninstall seems to be broken here.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community