cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
brunol
Former Member
Message 1 of 9

Redirected by default to Yahoo Search page when i make Mc Afee WebAdvisor as active

Jump to solution

When i setup into the search engine "Firefox" the default browser i want, Mcafee WebAdvisor is proposed to me as part of the default browser list values. So i can see for example the following values (google, Yahoo, Bing, Secure Search..).

"Secure Search" is the Mcafee WebAdvisor default browser value. So i select this value as a default browser. So in this case, i do not select Google or Yahoo because you can select only one default browser.

Once i have setup the default browser into firefox, i input into the firefox search bar for example "Mcafee". I notice that when i validate this research i get automatically redirected to Yahoo Search with the result of my research. Do you know why my system redirects me to Yahoo Search instead of Google or Bing..? What i would like is to be redirected by default to Google and not Yahoo Search.

If somebody has the answer i would be greatful!!

Best regards,

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 9

Re: Redirected by default to Yahoo Search page when i make Mc Afee WebAdvisor as active

Jump to solution

In any browser this should work.

You need to turn off Secure Search.

Do that by clicking just to the right of the McAfee icon on the top right corner of your browser & select Options.

(In Chrome click on the 'M')

Select the use of any search engine as shown below.

Then select your default Search engine in browser settings.

(click to enlarge)

Capture.JPG

View solution in original post

8 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 9

Re: Redirected by default to Yahoo Search page when i make Mc Afee WebAdvisor as active

Jump to solution

In any browser this should work.

You need to turn off Secure Search.

Do that by clicking just to the right of the McAfee icon on the top right corner of your browser & select Options.

(In Chrome click on the 'M')

Select the use of any search engine as shown below.

Then select your default Search engine in browser settings.

(click to enlarge)

Capture.JPG

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 9

Jump to solution

Discussion successfully moved from General Discussion to McAfee WebAdvisor (formerly SiteAdvisor

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
brunol
Former Member
Message 4 of 9

Jump to solution

Hi Peter,

Yes it works now. Thanks a lot for your answer!

Best regards,

Bruno.L

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 9

Jump to solution

Good, all the best 😉

Skylar
Contributor
Message 6 of 9

Jump to solution

It is not working..... I have tried all method mentioned in the forum but stillcannot get rid of the Yahoo search....

1. uninstall > no changes

2. Change setting at Mc Afee WebAdvisor > no changes

3. Set Google as default search engine > brower accidnetially closed...

What can I do now?

deivimore
Contributor II
Message 7 of 9

Jump to solution

PUP stands for Potentially Unwanted Program, and programs that fall under this moniker are slightly different than malware.

From a technical standpoint, a PUP is not malware.  PUPs are not created with the intent to destroy your computer or steal your personal information.  Rather, PUPs are usually just marketing tools that find their way onto people’s computers through a bit of social engineering.

In the past, PUPs were referred to as spyware and ad-ware, but many of the companies that create these programs didn’t like these terms.  They found them counterproductive, as they associated their programs with malware and scared people away.  As such, there now exists a fine legal line between what constitutes a PUP and what constitutes malware, and anyone in the business of labeling programs must be cautious about which term they use.

MCFEEE NON RENOVARED EVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!MCFEEE NON RENOVARED EVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!MCFEEE NON RENOVARED EVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!MCFEEE NON RENOVARED EVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!MCFEEE NON RENOVARED EVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!MCFEEE NON RENOVARED EVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!MCFEEE NON RENOVARED EVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!MCFEEE NON RENOVARED EVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!MCFEEE NON RENOVARED EVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!MCFEEE NON RENOVARED EVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

deivimore
Contributor II
Message 8 of 9

Jump to solution

BEWARE MACFEE INTALLS A PUP, THAT MAKE YOU PRINCIPAL SEARCH ENGINE : YAHOO

deivimore
Contributor II
Message 9 of 9

Jump to solution
BEWARE MACFEE INTALLS A PUP, THAT MAKE YOU PRINCIPAL SEARCH ENGINE : YAHOO
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community