Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mercury7
Contributor III
Message 1 of 10

Questions concerning (1) WebAdvisor version numbers and (2) Affid

Jump to solution

I run WebAdvisor on two Windows 7 computers and use IE-11 for my browser on each computer.  I have no other Intel Security/McAfee products on my computers.

The version of WebAdvisor that I have on each is 4.0.9.114 - and it has been there since late July.

I have seen other posters in October make reference to 4.0.1.184 as the latest version (which would seem to me a much earlier version than what I have).

Does anyone have any insight into the version number scheme for WebAdvisor?

Also, when I show WebAdvisor -> About to get the version number, I also see "Affid 91025".  Does anyone know what an "Affid" is?

Mercury7

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 10

Re: Questions concerning (1) WebAdvisor version numbers and (2) Affid

Jump to solution

Was just informed that the 91... is indicative of a small variant.

This AffID (the 91,000 series) and Build number (WebAdvisor 4.0.9 or SiteAdvisor 3.7.9) are indicative that the customer has an “A/B test” version installed. 

These “A/B” tests are used to test out customer reactions/usage of minor tweaks e.g. dialog box phrasing, or variations of sub-features (e.g. password monitoring). Please note that these minor tweaks are NOT beta software, only minor variations on existing software.

The test out is nothing to worry about, this isn't beta software and everything is done anonymously.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 10

Jump to solution

Affid indicates iwhether it's from McAfee direct (Affid 0), Dell (Affid 105) and then I don't remember the 100's of others that vary according to ISP or PC maker who is providing them.

If your Windows 7 is SP1 and totally up to date, including all updates for IE, whether or not you use it, then you should be up to WebAdvisor v4.0.1.199.

However the previous version 184 is still on many machines because 199 is still in the process of being slowly released.

Mercury7
Contributor III
Message 3 of 10

Jump to solution

WAversion.JPG

I don't understand.  My Windows 7 is SP1 and totally up to date.  IE-11 is up to date.  My version number, 4.0.9.114 would seem to be much newer than 4.0.1.199, since 4.0.9.xxx would be released after 4.0.1.xxx.  I've included a copy of my ABOUT screen in this reply.

Mercury7

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 10

Jump to solution

I apologise.  I overlooked the '9'.   I will ask my contact at McAfee.  Hopefully an answer will be forthcoming tomorrow.

mrepuski
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 5 of 10

Jump to solution

Hello Mercury7,

I reviewed your post and I see your confusion. As Ex_Brit has mentioned it is possible to find more than one version of a product. The differences between versions doesn't impact functionality or protection. That said for consistency within a group if you would like the same version on all system you can uninstall from the machine mention in the thread and reinstall from  www.siteadvisor.com.

Mercury7
Contributor III
Message 6 of 10

Jump to solution

Thanks for the prompt responses, Ex_Brit and mrepuski.

While it would be informative to know how far ahead/behind one is with respect to releases, and what the difference is from release to release, it is certainly not necessary in order to use WebAdvisor (which, by the way, I am very pleased with).

If you all, or anyone else, come across an understanding of the release numbering strategy, or even where to look to determine what the number of the latest release is,  I would appreciate him/her posting it on the forum.

Mercury7

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 10

Jump to solution

We rarely are told what's in version after version, but I can't speak for Mark, he's staff so maybe can add to this.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 10

Jump to solution

Was just informed that the 91... is indicative of a small variant.

This AffID (the 91,000 series) and Build number (WebAdvisor 4.0.9 or SiteAdvisor 3.7.9) are indicative that the customer has an “A/B test” version installed. 

These “A/B” tests are used to test out customer reactions/usage of minor tweaks e.g. dialog box phrasing, or variations of sub-features (e.g. password monitoring). Please note that these minor tweaks are NOT beta software, only minor variations on existing software.

The test out is nothing to worry about, this isn't beta software and everything is done anonymously.

Mercury7
Contributor III
Message 9 of 10

Jump to solution

Thanks Ex_Brit.  Your response on the AFFID and Build/Version Number is very informative.  I would never have guessed that that was the meaning.

Mercury7

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 10

Jump to solution

Neither would I..!   All the best 😉

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community