cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thegrump
Former Member
Message 1 of 5

Question about Bing search

Hello, all.  Hope someone can help me with this.

I use Bing as my search engine.  I recently bought a new computer and installed McAfee Total Protection; first time I've ever used it.  Just testing it out, I started checking the site reports of various sites I frequent and noticed that when I clicked on the popular news items at the bottom of the Bing home page and looked at the site report, it showed a warning that the search result page had malicious downloads.  However, when I type something in the search bar, the results page had the green safe check beside the results.  Why the inconsistency?

4 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 5

Re: Question about Bing search

Moved this to Webadvisor as a better spot.

I tried to reproduce what you describe be changing my default search engine to Bing and then experimenting.  I couldn't reproduce it and can only assume one of the links on that page led somewhere considered risky.

Maybe someone else can suggest a reason.   Let's hope others read this.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 5

I am inclined to agree with Colleague Ex_Brit. As you stated, McAfee Web Advisor determined that on that particular WebSite, contained links to Downloads that were considered malicious. I have experienced certain cases, especially with 'Gaming Sites' there were actual installers/downloads with-in the Site were deemed Risky/Malicious.

As Peter stated,maybe someone else can add to the discussion.

I might add that take some Minecraft/Steam sites were deemed safe. However when you went to Download/Install a particular installer, it prompted one that it is considered to be malicious.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
thegrump
Former Member
Message 4 of 5

So does that mean that the links on the page are dangerous, or the page itself?  I'm still a bit confused.  Thanks for the help.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 5

All it means is be careful going to websites with warnings.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community