Did you mean: 
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 21 of 39

Re: Profanity filter???

He just PM'd me....

Hi,

I have addressed this on Monday already, my Manager followed up last night . We haven't received a response yet.

Best regards, Peter

So something is happening........soon.

AlphaCentauri
Former Member
Message 22 of 39

The thing is, there IS a mechanism in place to block profanity. Notice that many of the domains virus_boy reviewed have part of the domain name starred-out. So the software is filtering out objectionable character strings found within the actual name of the domains being reviewed, yet isn't filtering his comments.

In the past, at least, there was some filtering of comments. I ran into a situation where I referred to the perpetrators of some criminal scam as "slimeballs" and when I hit "post," it turned into "slime*****."   I obviously didn't run into problems with the kind of language virus_boy is using, so I can't say if that was previously filtered. It's a strange filter, indeed.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 23 of 39

Interesting, well at least we know that someone is looking into it, urgently I hope.

If virus_boy had posted such comments in these forums I would have banned him and disabled the account in no time at all.

Edit:  I just got an acknowledgement to my email too so now it's being looked at by several people from different angles.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 03/08/11 9:59:50 EDT AM
NotBuyingIt
Reliable Contributor II
Message 24 of 39

I suppose that everybody's attention has been distracted by Operation Shady RAT

http://blogs.mcafee.com/mcafee-labs/revealed-operation-shady-rat

http://allthingsd.com/20110803/operation-shady-rat-the-biggest-hacking-attack-ever/

added 2nd URL on 8/3/11 7:07:56 PM CDT
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 25 of 39

Well the news is full of it, but it doesn't surprise me, China has been doing that for years.   They don't actually say it's them but I'm pretty sure it is.  Of course they deny everything.

Back to the subject in hand - I've been advised SiteAdvisor are acting on virus_boy and his reviews, but things take time.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 03/08/11 8:10:25 EDT PM
NotBuyingIt
Reliable Contributor II
Message 26 of 39

Good morning, Ex_Brit.

I noticed that you posted a mildly scolding remark to virus_boy on the site review for 007sites.com some hours ago and now he is gone, no doubt shamed into resigning.  You have an impressive and admirable economy with words, living up to your Jedi-master avatar.  (Oh-Brit-One.)

But actually, the SiteAdvisor staff was allowed to delete his account, right?

A remark by virus_boy's cohort/sock puppet THE_PLUFIERBOY remains; to paraphrase it: f'ing spammers. On the face of it,  a noble sentiment crudely expressed; but it could be even naughtier than catches the eye.  I'm not expressing indignation, I'm only suggesting that some hacker defeated SA's safeguard system on 07/09/2011

I wish McAfee well with that profanity filter. 

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 27 of 39

Yes I think they deleted his profile, which takes all his reviews with it apparently.   I've yet to hear officially from anyone what actually happened.    I wish them well with that profanity filter too, they certainly need it as he no doubt will be back under some other pseudonym but as was stated earlier on, an immaturity filter might be a good idea too!   Implied bad words are OK I guess but not ones spelled out and bigoted remarks such as his are certainly not welcome.

Kudos to you guys for keeping an eye on things.  We can't be everywhere at once unfortunately - I for one haven't mastered the art of going at Warp 10 yet.  😉

Thanks.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 04/08/11 9:08:18 EDT AM
AlphaCentauri
Former Member
Message 28 of 39

They might have a look at this page while they're at it. Some things were filtered; some things weren't.

http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/crazykens.com/msgpage

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 29 of 39

I'd best report this so can someone also give me the page address for this plufier person please as I can't seem to locate it?  I gather he is also a bit risque.

We have probably opened a can of worms here and I wouldn't be surprised if this ability for anyone to join as a reviewer is taken away.

NotBuyingIt
Reliable Contributor II
Message 30 of 39

hXXp://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/007sites.com/msgpage

hXXp://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/derp.com/msgpage

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community