cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JimGuinn
Former Member
Message 1 of 12

Problems with Site Advisor and XP Service Pack 3

I was not sure where to post this, so I am posting it here.

After 1 1/2 days of trying to get my computer to function properly, I am at my wits end.

I have OS XP Home and McAfee SecurityCenter.

Yesterday I downloaded the XP Service Pack 3...and have had nothing but problems since.

My CPU usage spikes up to 100% almost every time I try to do something. My computer comes to a halt!

SAService.exe is eating up my CPU usage.

I did a search and found out that SAService.exe is connected with McAfee's Site Advisor.

I went to the McAfee site, but trying to get a straight answer or direct email where I can get help is all but impossible.

I want to know how to UNINSTALL the McAfee Site Advisor Service (component) of my McAfee security software.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you.

Jim
11 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 12

RE: Problems with Site Advisor and XP Service Pack 3

You would uninstall it by going to Control Panel/Add or Remove Programs and look for either McAfee Security Center or McAfee SiteAdvisor and uninstalling it that way.

If none of those are visible then run the MCPR removal tool linked in my signature and reboot when it finishes.

It should remove all traces of SiteAdvisor and any other McAfee products.

If it's eating CPU then it must be reacting with another process such as IE Content Advisor or some other browser-related component.
JimGuinn
Former Member
Message 3 of 12

Hi Peter,

Thanks, but I don't want to remove Security Center from my computer, just the Site Advisor component SAService.exe...and I don't find Site Advisor listed in the Add/Delete Programs.

Jim
vinod_r2
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 12

In the add/remove opt to remove security centre and then uncheck all but site advisor and remove that alone
reboot
update windows
if you have IE-6 get IE-7
then install siteadvisor again issue must not be there

ensure that you do not use spybot kind of software if you have that
JimGuinn
Former Member
Message 5 of 12

Hi Vinod,

Thank you. I didn't know you could remove just one component from Add/Delete programs. I did that, rebooted, and decided not to reinstall Site Advisor. Not only has my computer started working again, but the speed is even faster than before without Site Advisor. I just hope the McAfee auto updates won't reinstall the SA.

Once again, thank you for your help.

Jim
vinod_r2
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 12

Glad you are ok..
But I would suggest that you try to install the Siteadvisor now and see if its ok.. (you can always remove it now......right;) )
JimGuinn
Former Member
Message 7 of 12

Yup...but I have not seen my computer run so fast since I first bought it. Without SA, my computer is running lickity-split! I have read the forums about how SA is months behind rating sites. I am beginning to think if the SA component is worth it at all. I think I will keep it uninstalled.

Jim
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 12

It's good that you are seeing better performance but I'm wondering if you had inadvertently turned on "Protected Mode" when you had it installed. That's the only thing, other than file corruption or spyware, that I can think of that would have caused that.

Anyway, it was just a thought. Glad it's fixed.
JimGuinn
Former Member
Message 9 of 12

Hi Ex_Brit,

If you do a Google search you will see tons of info about the woes of people who have installed XP service Pack 3 and SAService.exe. They are just not compatible.

Jim
vinod_r2
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 10 of 12

Interesting..

never seen such a thing on sp3:rolleyes:
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community