cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
caguilar515
Former Member
Message 1 of 4

Problems with Google Chrome and McAfee Total Protection

I have been using Google Chrome for probably about 2 years. I prefer it over other browsers for several reasons. The first year I didn't have a problem. Sometime after the last time I resubscribed to McAfee, where I changed to Total Protection (I can't recall the name of the software I had before, but I know it was different, although also McAfee) I have had several problems with Google Chrome. At least once a week, I will get a pop up saying an unauthorized program is requesting internet access, Google Chrome, and click to allow access. I always choose the option to always allow. Since I have started getting those pop-ups, I have intermittant problems with Chrome. It will say Page Cannot Be Displayed, as if my internet is not connected, but I can use IE or Firefox to connect to the internet. I have tried all the troubleshooting on the Chrome website, none of it works, except for uninstalling, then reinstalling Chrome. I have had to do that 3 different times, and now tonight it again won't allow me access, although a few hours ago I was on Chrome, and I got the warning pop-up, when I again chose to allow. A half hour later my husband tried to connect using Chrome and it wouldn't work, but here I am writing from Firefox. I have a second computer in my home that does not have McAfee protection of any sort, I have had that computer for over a year, and I have never once had a problem with Chrome on it. Can anyone tell me what the deal is? Do I need to find a different security provider if I would prefer to continue using Chrome on my primary computer?

3 Replies
spc3rd
Former Member
Message 2 of 4

Re: Problems with Google Chrome and McAfee Total Protection

Hi caguilar515,

You might want to take a look at another post via the link shown below.  See if the information provided by one of McAfee's tech support staff there is of any help.  If not, post back here and let us know.

http://https://community.mcafee.com/message/156030#156030

jaymfe
Former Member
Message 3 of 4

The link is not preperly pasted. Here it is..

https://community.mcafee.com/message/156030#156030

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 4

Every time Google Chrome gets updated to a new version (and that happens regularly) I see the same popup that you do. I click on Always Allow Access and everything's fine until the next update. Don't ask me why this happens, but it's only mildly annoying.

As for Chrome not displaying web pages, check your Chrome settings page in Wrench(aka Spanner)-->Options-->Under The Hood. See below. Your LAN settings should not show any kind of proxy server, so uncheck that box if it's checked.

Google settings.JPG

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community