Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 21 of 50

Re: Problem with safe sites icons

Jump to solution

It is recommended that you uninstall Web Advisor from your Control Panel/Programs and Features/Restart.Then reinstall here WebAdvisor Download.

It is my understanding also that yes, you need to have the latest Adobe Flash Player installed. Simply keep it on Automatic Updating so it will install monthly. And be careful to (uncheck) any optional offers that may be initially bundled with the software/download.

As for Java, i only have Java script installed by windows default, and there is a difference.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 22 of 50

Jump to solution

When you say you have 'Safe Search' enabled, I would assume you are referring to Yahoo Safe Search? Actually I have that disabled as it on occasions can cause issues also. I leave it to Google as my default search engine. And never experience any such issues.

Just thought I would add that..

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
abmchi
Former Member
Message 23 of 50

Jump to solution

A.  reply to catdaddy 20 and 21.  had already done uninstall and reinstall x2 [but see below] .... ver 4.0.5.127 still crashed firefox unless disabled in ff-safemode.  I erred---mean to write 'secure search' .. agree w/comment re yahoo search

B.  HOWEVER, NEW MINOR VERSION JUST RELEASED = 4.0.5.137    [137 VS. PREVIOUS 127] and this installs and solves the firefox crash.  now settings available and can set to  shows tags in all search engines.

Also, and I don't really understand why this works, it requires flashplayer to be installed to work, BUT it even works when I set it to "never activate", ie disabled, (instead of 'ask to activate') ... so must use a portion of the software  [flashplayer is shockwave 25.0.0.148]

this may ver 4.0.5.137 may well have been expedited to solve ff 53.0 crash issue ... and 4.0.6 version appears to be still pending.

thank you for the helpful thoughts and support

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 24 of 50

Jump to solution

I am glad to hear all is okay.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
abmchi
Former Member
Message 25 of 50

Jump to solution

here we go again....

with firefox 54.0 (64 bit) , webadvisor again crashes firefox.... after 3 crashes, in safe mode I had to disable it for firefox to restart again....after refreshing firefox, meaning have to reset all aspects...

latest version of webadvisor that crashed latest firefox is ver 4.0.6.17  .

Seems that mcafee webadvisor extn can't keep up with firefox updates [ver 4.0.5.137 finally worked with FF 53.0 thru 53.03].

possibly you can give this feedback to mcafee .....  since I like webadvisor/old-siteadvisor, but the hassle of crashing FF and then restting it after disabling webadvisor....at some point -------

anyone else have this problem?  any thoughts?

abmchi
Former Member
Message 26 of 50

Jump to solution

addendum:

just downloaded latest webadvisor freom mcafee site and see that it's listed as version 4.0.5.139

HOWEVER, in Total Protection I see the build is 4.0.6.137   [apologies, typo said 6.17 instead of correct 6.137]

not sure why the discrepancy, and also the add-on in firefox always has a different ver no. listed... right now it says 5.0.540.0

thank you for any suggestions,

ac

Peacekeeper
Message 27 of 50

Jump to solution

Mine says 4.0.5.139 in both areas. I am using firefox 32bit without any issues.

What version of the Mcafee suite have you

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 28 of 50

Jump to solution

I have the same Version listed in Firefox as well. Running Version/Build 16.0 (Blue) GUI.

Capture.PNG

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
abmchi
Former Member
Message 29 of 50

Jump to solution

thanks.  i'll try switching to 32 bit and see if works for me as well; however, my recollection is last time with earlier version , iworked for you as well and it took the newer one to do so for me.

My guess, appears as if McAfee can't keep up w/FF changes.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 30 of 50

Jump to solution

Just so you know, I am running 64bit.

Capture.PNG

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community