Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
abmchi
Former Member
Message 11 of 50

Re: Problem with safe sites icons

Jump to solution

appreciate response, however:

1- turns out control panel showed 64-bit firefox ... just saw "32" for a sec when vr 53.0 auto-installed

2- just in case, since there have been many updates over time, I uninstalled and downloaded directly firefox 53.0

3- installed it... worked fine... then downloaded fresh webadvisor and installed it

4- presto, same problem and not for 1 min... but waited for 3 mins... no change

5- again got it to work by restarting in firefox safe mode, disabling the webadvisor, and restarting firefox

6- again works, see webadvisor add-on there as disabled ... if I enable it, on restart presto same crash reporter. [sent rpt on to Mozilla]

btw, previously had a 'safe-search' option for search engine ...of course that's no longer there.

in addition, used to have an item on toolbar that allowed one to click and check safety of a site where one was

any other ideas of what's up ... or just another fallout from switch to v53

thanks

p.s. this responds to #'s 5 thru 9 ... will not duplicate...apologies for previous dup -  am new to forum

minion
Former Member
Message 12 of 50

Jump to solution

Click on the Community Support link that Catdaddy posted on April 20 .

Under Information About Siteadvisor read info.

Click on impact to search annotations following upgrades.

Read info, and then follow solution i or 2 .

abmchi
Former Member
Message 13 of 50

Jump to solution

N.B.    Nothing suggested on april 20 link worked... did by hand, uninstalled and reinstalled everything fresh , and even used the step-by-step

my guess is this was pre-FF 53.0

However - spoke with 2nd level McAfee Tech support (name=Irish Sandos)

and

Webadvisor has  problems with Firefox 53.0 - Known Problems

New Version Webadvisor , version 4.0.6 , Should Be Out  April 26, 2017 (current ver=4.0.5.127 as of now=2017-04-22 6pm usa pst)

I strongly suggested to him -- and useful if anyone else speaks w/mcafee tech support -- McAfee should post known issues for which there are planned update-fixes.

btw, v4.0.6 won't help or return the tags/annotations to IE11 or reinstate a "safesearch" , though apparently warnings on entering "unsafe" sites apparenty will still be there.

abmchi
Former Member
Message 14 of 50

Jump to solution

see my post #12 .... may well want to wait until the webadvisor bug-fix/FF53.0-compatable update comes out 2017-04-26

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 15 of 50

Jump to solution

It must be 'System specific' then. As I am running 53.0 64-bit and all is functioning perfectly. I would contact a Senior member of the Web Advisor Team ( He works closely with the Devs)  However he is on PTO until 4/28/2017.

Remember that your Web Advisor updates *Silently* and usually you are not aware the Version/Build has changed until you reboot.

All the Best

CD

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
abmchi
Former Member
Message 16 of 50

Jump to solution

how would I contact "a Senior member of Web Advisor Team" ?  [even getting to 2nd level tech took 1-2hr & 1st level tech's didn't even know of 4/26 bug-fix pending]

thanks, ac

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 17 of 50

Jump to solution

I meant that (I) would normally contact Doug whom is a Senior Level Engineer whom works closely with the Web Advisor team. However he is on (PTO) at the present time. However we will bring this up today on our conference Call.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
abmchi
Former Member
Message 18 of 50

Jump to solution

any f/u ?

btw, after phone call f/u discussion with 2nd or 3rd level tech 2017-04-28  was told:

1)  the webadvisor new version 4.0.6 has not yet been released, and

2)  claims that when mcafee total protection updates, webadvisor contained within would update.

However, what doesn't make sense is that even after uninstall/install, my IE11 still had siteadvisor "safe-search" (yahoo search w/the old tags) still listed in manage-add-ons as default search engine...long after it no longer worked on IE11 ... leading me to think that the firefox problem [causing 53.0 to crash unless disabled] possibly required more than a usual control panel uninstall...possibly still has reg hooks .... net-net, does webadvisor require a special uninstall program before reinstall [I don't want to use the mcpr.exe uninstall since that'll take out the whole mcafee program.].

3) btw, if you do speak w/ "Doug" , would suggest to mcafee that a higher end and more closely supported standalone [or adjunctive program] webadvisor-type program would be well worth paying for ... at least I would.

thks, ac

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 19 of 50

Jump to solution

Doug should be back in the office Monday morning. I have brought this up as a Topic of discussion on our Conference Call tomorrow, as he works closely with the Web Advisor Team/Devs. I will update you in this thread afterwards

Also, do you have your settings set to "Tell me if a search result is safe in any search engine"?

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
abmchi
Former Member
Message 20 of 50

Jump to solution

1- it was set to work in all search engines and I would guess uninstall/reinstall of same version [4.0.5.127] would not change this as likely a preserved reg key

2- now, since no settings menu shows in IE11 and enabling it in FF 543.0 totally crashes FF, there appears no way to check it

3-just got off phone with McAfee rep who said as part of testing my use of current webadvisor issue, I need to have flash installed and java as well, and

4- More importantly I was told that the that new version of WebAdvisor may well require Java.... a surprising requirement for a Security company like McAfee given java's security issues.

looking forward to hearing from you after you discuss w/Doug ... also whether they will be requiring java and/or flash for searches using the coming webadvisor update .... 

Please relay that would not a good move in my opinion...Needing java installed to be able to do "safe-search" is an Oxymoron...flash at least you can enable/disable if you want animation...

thanks.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community