cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JAMIE4418
Former Member
Message 1 of 7

Problem with Siteadvisor

Don't get me wrong. I think SA rocks. However, sometimes I notice that SA says a site is fine, but google says "this site may harm your computer". I've noticed this several times and it seems SA is missing dangerous sites.

Anyone have any info on this?
Tags (1)
6 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 7

RE: Problem with Siteadvisor

It's possible that the review they did is old and they haven't got around to doing a new one yet.

However, SA probably works differently from Google so not really sure about that to be honest. What feature in Google are you using to compare?

It's usually people screaming about sites being labelled bad when they aren't that we hear about here!
JAMIE4418
Former Member
Message 3 of 7

Just the simple google search.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 7

Hmmm. Interesting. I've yet to see that as my SA works in Google search anyway.
Riddlez
Contributor
Message 5 of 7

SiteAdvisor and Google search are just two different 'systems'.

They are not perfect.

In general, unless you're sure about a site or really need to go there, stay away from it if SiteAdvisor gives a RED rating or Google warns you about the site.

SiteAdvisor at RED means: stay away, green or gray doesn't mean much, I've seen plenty of dangerous sites rated as green.
JAMIE4418
Former Member
Message 6 of 7

I've seen it a couple times. I can't remember the searches, but I will try to post them next time.
CBMatt
Former Member
Message 7 of 7

Jamie isn't referring to any Google program; it's just part of the standard search engine features. I won't post a list of such results because it's typically illegal (warez, etc.) sites that bring up the warning and I'm sure you don't want those types of links here on your forum. However, here is the link that Google supplies, which explains the link and provides a screenshot of what these results look like...
http://www.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=45449&topic=360&hl=en&sa=X&oi=malwarewarninglink&...

I can't recall ever seen one of these sites green-listed by SA, but if that's ever the case, I would trust Google over SA. From my experience, these sites are often malicious. They're the types of sites that you'd be reluctant to visit even with NoScript. In fact, I once ignored Google's warnings and visited a couple of these sites and got infected by downloaders/trojans, which is actually what got me interested in malware removal.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community