cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nimras
Contributor
Message 21 of 37

Re: Problem with McAfee SiteAdvisor (3.4.0.143) and Firefox (6.x)

It is checked.

I just installed FF 5 no matter version NO PROBLEM.

FF 6 and it starts wtf is wrong?

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 22 of 37

I have no idea. Technical Support online chat would probably be better equipped to help you at this stage.

nimras
Contributor
Message 23 of 37

I will try that then even tho it is strange that i arent the only one here with the problem hehe.

ineedsomehelp
Former Member
Message 24 of 37

I haven't seen anything regarding this problem in the past few days. So, as the initiator of this post, my question still remains. Is SiteAdvisor (SA) being used with Firefox 6.x supposed to be an "extension" or a "plug-in" ?   I strongly suspect it is supposed to be a plug-in.  SA shows the version of 3.4.0 as an extension while the version of v3.4.0.135 is shown. I have the current version of SA installed ... v3.4.0.143. Can anyone from McAfee "PLEASE" enlighten me. Thanks.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 25 of 37

What it is described as depends on the browser not on McAfee.  In Firefox it is labelled as an Extension, in IE - Toolbar and/or Extension, Chrome - Extension.   The term plug-in also applies to them all because it's a very loosely descriptive term anyway covering all kinds of things attached to or contained within the browser.

nimras
Contributor
Message 26 of 37

You still have problems with the Java script problem?

newjack
Former Member
Message 27 of 37

I had this issue for a while with firefox and S.A.I ended up deleting Site Advisor and using WOT.Since then I have downloaded site advisor again with firefox 6.02 and it has been OK.Not sure if there is a problem with your version or not.I did notice if you disable the plug in and leave the extention I recieved a similiar pop up to the one I was getting originally.You should try to reinstal a new version of site advisor.See if that fixes the problem.You should be able to do this from programs and features.Delete Mcafee.It should give you an option to uninstall the whole thing or site advisor.Check site advisor.Then reinstall.

ineedsomehelp
Former Member
Message 28 of 37

Oh well !  I guess will just have to do one of two things ... keep SA and run FF6 as is or delete SA altogether.  One other thing that I have noticed is that when I do a check for any "plug-in"  updates, the response back from Mozilla (FF) is the McAfee SiteAdvisor is labeled as "Unknown Plugin".  I am also running AVG Free as my primary ... real time ... along with WOT.  I have been using SA primarily to help as another check. Sometimes WOT says that a site is less than ok while SA responds with the site being ok. Go figure !.  So at this point, I am throwing up my hands and quiting !  If you's guys want to continue this post ... that's fine.  I'm signing off.  Thanks to all that have responded thus far.

Gene
Former Member
Message 29 of 37

I'm sorry to have to say this, but I'm giving up on SiteAdvisor after using it since it was first released. It's not just the problems mentioned in this thread, which continue, but even more it's how intrusive it has become. It finds problems everywhere. I often get warnings when going to Boston.com, the Boston Globe's website, which I check every day and have for years. I just HATE the big full-screen warnings.

SiteAdvisor used to do it's job in a much quieter way. It's become far too sensitive, issuing warnings on WAY too many websites. I have anti-virus protection and a firewall to protect my computer, so I don't think I need obnoxious warnings when there's a minimal chance that something might not be quite right, or MAY have been not quite right weeks or months ago.

On top of the above complaints, SA also dramatically slows the loading of some sites. I have only a DSL connection and the delays are often unbearable.

I'm very disappointed with where SA is now and where it's heading. I've disabled it for good.

Gene
Former Member
Message 30 of 37

Nobody cares.

And it only gets worse. Foxfire 7 just put up a dialog box telling me that the McAfee Scriptscan extension should be disabled because it's causing problems.

I pay for the security package and a good part of it is now disabled -- Netguards, SiteAdvisor, and now Scriptscan -- in order to give me trouble-free operation. It's ironic that to make your browsing trouble-free you have to disable programs that are supposed to make your browsing trouble-free. 😞

I'm still running XP, but I just bought Windows 7 Ultimate and will be going 64-bit. Maybe that will help.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community