cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ineedsomehelp
Former Member
Message 1 of 37

Problem with McAfee SiteAdvisor (3.4.0.143) and Firefox (6.x)

Is anyone experiencing problems with McAfee SiteAdvisor, latest version, and Firefox v6? I have to disable SiteAdvisor so that Firefox will run properly. One thing I have noticed is, that with the current version of SiteAdvisor installed, SiteAdvisor is listed in the Firefox "Add-ons" in two places ... as an extension and as a plug-in. I don't know if SiteAdvisor was listed twice for any previous versions. So .... my main question is .... is McAfee SiteAdvisor an "extension" or a "plug-in" for Firefox ? SiteAdvisor, as an extension, is showing the version of "3.4.0" and as a plug-in the version shown is 3.4.0.135. The current version of SiteAdvisor is v3.4.0.143. Please advise and thanks.

36 Replies
Gene
Former Member
Message 2 of 37

Re: Problem with McAfee SiteAdvisor (3.4.0.143) and Firefox (6.x)

I've got the same problem and had to disable SiteAdvisor. It sometimes totally crashes Firefox. Other times it causes an error message in a small dialog box, but the error message is just a jumble of letters and numbers.

I hadn't noticed that SiteAdvisor was listed as both an Extension and a Plug-in. I disabled the Extension and it stopped working and causing problems.

Gene
Former Member
Message 3 of 37

I just tried disabling the Plugin entry and enabling the extension. I got an immediate error:

Exc in ev handl: TypeError: this.oRoot.enable is not a function

jmckee
Contributor III
Message 4 of 37

Gene wrote:

I just tried disabling the Plugin entry and enabling the extension. I got an immediate error:

Exc in ev handl: TypeError: this.oRoot.enable is not a function

Same here. Also , the SA bar at the lower right in FF and on IE always shows gray.

jaymfe
Former Member
Message 5 of 37

There is no issue with that McAfee Site Advisor even it shows plugin version as different, because Site Advisor version and plugin version are totally different. Are you facing any issue with Site Advisor now?

FF plugin.jpg

ineedsomehelp
Former Member
Message 6 of 37

I am experiencing the same issues as indicated in previous posts.  If I enable SiteAdvisor, both in the plug-ins and extensions, SiteAdvisor is working (I guess). The problem with SiteAdvisor when enabled is that if, for example, I am using either Thunderbird or another application, and I need to open a link from an email or do a check for updates for an application that requires connection to the Internet, Firefox will start but not be "active" (for lack of a better word). I always have to do one of three things ... 1) do ALT-TAB to use Firefox, 2) LEFT click on the Firefox button in the Windows taskbar, or 3) RIGHT click - RESTORE to use Firefox. Firefox will not automatically open and be active when started with SiteAdvisor enabled. I hope described this adequately.

Gene
Former Member
Message 7 of 37

If I have both the extension and the plugin enabled, SiteAdvisor works okay for awhile. Everything looks normal.

After using firefox for a while, it crashes -- that is, no matter what you click on you get a small error box with a string in it that looks like somebody didn't have their fingers on the home keys. It's a string of random numbers and letters.

I'm running Windows XP and I just re-enabled SiteAdvisor. I'll report back when it crashes again.

ineedsomehelp
Former Member
Message 8 of 37

Oh well. Whatever the case, I will keep SiteAdvisor disabled for now. I wait for the next SiteAdvisor update and/or the next Firefox update. I see that there is a new version for Firefox of 6.0.2 but it is apparently not yet available. Everytime I check for updates I see only 6.0.1 is the current version. So, for now, I am ending this session. Thanks.

Gene
Former Member
Message 9 of 37

SA was giving me trouble, so I disabled it. Since I re-enabled it on the 5th, I've had no further problems. It seems to be working as advertised.

Maybe it's too early for me to have complete confidence that the problems have gone away. I'll report back if they happen again.

ineedsomehelp
Former Member
Message 10 of 37

For me, SA is working. But with SA enabled FF6 initially will not open so that I can immediately use the keyboard. When FF6 initially starts, the "button" (I guess) in the taskbar is not in the "active" mode (so to speak). I have to manually "activate" FF6 before the keyboard can be used. I have to use the mouse to click on FF6 or use the keyboard - ALT-TAB to use FF6. This happens everytime FF6 is started. After that FF6 is ok (I guess). So I don't know if this is a problem with FF6 or with SA.  Oh well.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community