cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
parasectre
Contributor
Message 1 of 4

Problem With Siteadvisor on Google Searches Using Firefox

Currently I'm having problems with site advisor on both my laptop and desktop when it comes to google search results in firefox. When searching on yahoo or ask there is no problem. When searching google using IE7 there isn't a problem either. The problem only exists on google searches in firefox. I've tried deleting the search.dat file but when SA recreates the file again the same problem persists. I'd love to now a way of fixing this annoying issues (especially as I use google the most when doing searches).

BTW, I'm using firefox 2.0.0.14 with SA 26.6 Build 6265 on a Windows Vista machine if that helps.
3 Replies
user_74269
Contributor
Message 2 of 4

I'm having issues with SA and Firefox also

Sorry I don't have a remedy; I thought I'd add to the list of those of us having difficulty with the free version of Site Advisor (SA)and Firefox.

I've been successfully using the free version of Site Advisor with both Firefox and Internet Explorer browsers until recently. I've been using Firefox 2.0.0.14 (is a patch for version 3 available yet??) and Internet Explorer 7 on my Windows XP SP2 PC. I don't seem to have the same number of problems with SA when using IE, likely because I don't care to use IE very darn often.

Firefox (or, Site Advisor: not sure which) on the other hand has been giving me ample grief of late. For the last few days, I have had to download the SA plug-in into Firefox EVERY DAY...the plug in simply won't stick! Today, the problem is worse: It appears that SA installs, but then the download AND the software simply vanishes into thin air. I have come to depend upon SA to help ferret out possibly malicious sites...especially since I depend heavily upon Google search results. Now, I am going to have to find another plug-in from a different vendor...I am at my wits end and simply don't know what the problem is (I've never had THIS particular problem before.)

Like parasectre, I, too, am searching for a solution. Oh, and I actually did purchase the product at the beginning of the year, but was never able to get it to work...the technical help I paid for was not able to solve the issue either. At this point, I'd simply be happy to get consistent results from the free version.

Has anyone else had similar problems...and found a solution?

Thanks in advance!
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 4

RE: I'm having issues with SA and Firefox also

Please update to Firefox 3 - the final version is safer and is available for download.

Also try uninstalling and reinstalling your Siteadvisor as your version appears to be the one prior to the current release.

Go to your Control Panel, Add or Remove Programs and remove McAfee SiteAdvisor.
If it isn't listed then it may be included in the McAfee Security Center item. Click that and choose to uninstall the SiteAdvisor component when presented with the list of components.

Go to either your online account or http://www.siteadvisor.com and download a fresh version.

Also see How can I Uninstall SiteAdvisor?

Also see: Contacting the SiteAdvisor Team.
PraveenRajaretn
Contributor
Message 4 of 4

RE: Problem With Siteadvisor on Google Searches Using Firefox

Hello all,

Please refer to the Sticky for further clarifications on the Fix provided for the SiteAdvisor issue with Firefox 3.0

Icons disapearing next to Google search link
by adamjo

Sincerely,
Praveen Rajaretnam,
McAfee SiteAdvisor Team
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community