cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
grits
Former Member
Message 1 of 4

Please help a dummy

I've been reading for hours & am just getting more confused. All I want is plain SiteAdvisor so that when I go to Google to search for something it gives me a "heads-up" like it used to when I had 4.0.129. ( I found that number in my ZoneAlarm Program list )
Several months back I got a ZA popup that I didn't understand so denied it, then found later that SA was gone when I "Googled" something. I think it was about then that I first started reading this forum & got a bit spooked by all the negative posts so just stopped doing any searching. Sometime since then I went to Add/Remove to remove it but didn't know I was supposed to then re-boot. Sometime later I found reference to SA in IE Tools - Manage Add-ons , would a re-boot have removed that? Now.....my current problem......
decided yesterday to download/install SA all over again....went to website to do it......saved download to my desktop.........properties of setup64 showed 2.74MB.......started install.....got ZA notice: something about McSACore.exe , clicked "allow"...then another ZA, something with SA in it so "allowed". Now I don't remember what popped up after that but never did get a spot where I could say "no" to yahoo., or any graph or anything to show it was installing. After at least 15 minutes I went to Add/Remove & it was there but as 5.45MB, 2.71MB more than setup showed so I Removed it & did re-boot that time. Now this morning I find reference to SA both in Manage Add-ons & in Windows Explorer. Do I have to delete them? I "might" want to re-install SA if someone can explain the size difference & what's SACore? Thank you.
3 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 4

RE: Please help a dummy

Always reboot after adding or removing a programme.

I'm a little confused by your post but I think that you are saying that remnants of SA are showing although you removed it...am I right?

Make sure that there is no remaining entry in Add or Remove Programs. (Programs/Uninstall a Program in Vista).

It could be listed as McAfee Security Center if you ever had other McAfee components installed.

I would try a clean up. If you have no other McAfee components that you wish to keep run the "MCPR Removal Tool" listed in my signature.

Reboot and then re-download it if you wish to from http://www.siteadvisor.com/

I can't tell you why the discrepancy in sizes and sacore is merely one component of SiteAdvisor.
grits
Former Member
Message 3 of 4

Thank you Ex_Brit,
I just recently learned about the re-boot after removal, which I did do after last one, but have never read about re-booting after adding , other than when the download actually states such.

Will go try the removal tool.

If needed for any future posts I have:

Windows XPHome SP3
IE7

Don't know what else might be needed or how to find it or get it posted.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 4

Rebooting after an installation isn't alwats necessary but a good idea nevertheless, if only to get rid of the temporary installation files that usually ensue.

I entered that info in your signature but feel free to tailor it to your taste in your "User CP" on the left of dark bar almost at the top of the page.

You may have to sign out and back in to make it work.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community