cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mich6
Contributor
Message 1 of 5

PDF on my SaaS site flagged as a dangerous download

I maintain a SaaS website. When logged into the site, users are able to generate and download PDFs. These files are generated on the fly by the web server, they're not simply files sitting on the web server's file system.

One of our users also uses McAfee WebAdvisor, and they told me that WebAdvisor is flagging up our PDF download with this message:

"Whoa, that download is dangerous!

We found that there might be viruses, spyware, or other potentially unwanted programs in the file you are trying to download"

I don't use WebAdvisor myself so I'm not in a great position to investigate further. Can anyone tell me what might trigger this message? Is WebAdvisor actually scanning the file, or has the domain been flagged up for some reason? Is there anything I can ask my user to check, in order to get more information?

I'm pretty sure the file is safe! The user says they downloaded it anyway, without any obvious ill effects.

4 Replies
rhonda23
Contributor
Message 2 of 5

Re: PDF on my SaaS site flagged as a dangerous download

I have a similar issue with my website (coded in php and codeigniter).   I have an ecommerce store that uses sessions to recognize users.  Users can view and download their .pdf purchase invoice. McAfee shows the .pdf download as dangerous - I think because the pdf shows up as blank if it is not the correct user. I am just starting out and need to correct this immediately.

sivasubramanian
Message 3 of 5

Hi @mich6

Please ask the user to try adding the domain under WebAdvisor Manage your trusted sites. Below is how to do it.

1. Right click on the WebAdvisor add-on and select Options.
2. Under Manage your trusted sites, the user should the add domainname.com and click the + symbol.
3. Close and re-open the browser, check if the issue still persists.

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, please mark it as the accepted solution and give Kudos if appropriate.
develyp
Contributor
Message 4 of 5

Hello, I am having similar issues where my .PDF files are being flagged as dangerous by webadvisor. I would like to know how I can avoid this as my files are basic PDFs and are not containing any sort of malicious content. This is for clients site and really need this prevented for future visitors.

onlythehorses
Contributor
Message 5 of 5

I can recommend you to convert your pdf files online and save them as jpg. Had the same problem.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community